Re-Install preperation.

Discussion in 'Macintosh' started by SPeedY_B, Mar 14, 2005.

1. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

Ok, so I'm likely to wipe and re-install OS X soon, I know that re-installs aren't needed, but I've quite a few (self caused) problems with this install, and I'd like a nice clean install as I'll be doing this with Tiger when that is released soon anyway (Not a fan of upgrades, clean installs all the way!) so I was wondering what most of you back-up before wiping a computer, as there's always something that I forget.

My current list stands at:
    • Safari Bookmarks
    • List of Installed Apps
    • Conf Files (HTTPd, FTPd, IRC, etc)
    • Docs/Movies/Pics (Home dir basically)
    • Address Book

All my downloads (Including the OS X updaters, for convenience), music, movies, etc are stored on a separate RAID disk from the main o/s drive, so they're all safe, I just know if I go ahead and wipe the main drive, I'll still forget something :D so, any suggestions for things I may of missed?

2. mlakrid

mlakrid OSNN BASSMASTER Political User Folding Team

If you play games, and they arent already on your raid... the saved games or saved screenshots of the game...

I forogot those last time I reloaded :(

3. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

I do, but not enough to warrant backing up anything gaming related. Good suggestion though :)

4. X-Istence

X-Istence * Political User

I save almost nothing. Bookmarks mabey. Mail.app is all imap anyways so it is just connecting it.

5. Scooter

Scooter Random Apple Dude

Since most of my stuff is saved in my Home Dir' I just back up all of that (minus the "Library" folder)

Also, and apps in your Applications folder that you downloaded and might not be able to again ( for eg. I back up my FTP app since it was a drag n drop app - if you get what i mean)

Thats about it for me :)