Random computer lockups and newer Direct-X games not working

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Tiesto, Nov 19, 2002.

1. Tiesto

Tiesto OSNN Addict

I have been having this problem for a while. My newer Direct-X based games such as UT2K3, Battlefield 1942 and Hitman 2 do not work. Hitman 2 doesnt even launch. Also I have recently been experiencing random lockups to where i have to do a hard boot, especially when Im online. I have tried everything, Direct 9.0, which screwed up my comp even more to the point of reformat. I tried installing the VIA 4 in 1 drivers since I have a VIA chipset but nothing, still the same problems. Newest non-beta Nvidia drivers for GeForce 2 which are 40.72, nothing. I am so fed up with this crap. Does anyone know what I can do.

Here are my system specs:

AMD Athlon 1.2 Ghz 266 FSB
    Trinity KT-A S2390B mobo
    VIA KT-133 chipset
    GeForce 2 MX 400 64 mb VC w/ 40.72 Det Drivers
    512 MB SDRAM PC133

Any system spec i neglected to mention, if you catch it bring it to my attention so you can serve me better :D

Thanks to anyone and everyone in advance.

2. XP Abuser

XP Abuser Guest

you overclocking anythiing???

3. Tiesto

Tiesto OSNN Addict

Nope, nothing at all.

4. XP Abuser

XP Abuser Guest

open the run box (winkey+R) and type "dxdiag" No Quotes it will open up the direct-x diagnosis tool go through the various tests and see if that brings up any problems;)

5. Tiesto

Tiesto OSNN Addict

Already did. No problems. I truely believe that the ****ing retards at Nvidia purposely put out the new drivers to create incompatibilities with older cards, forcing you to buy the new one.

6. brummie

brummie OSNN Addict

I had a similar problem when i installed a crystal orb to a GF2 Ultra. Turned out to be an almost unnoticealbe finger print of ASII across a few of the contacts on the contact edge of the card in AGP slot.
    Maybe its something harware like that.

EDIT: It only affected a few OpenGL games BTW :D

7. Tiesto

Tiesto OSNN Addict

Hmm, intresting. Ill have to take a look at it.

8. SickBoi

SickBoi Kicker of Elves

check that your main devices (video, sound, network) aren't sharing an irq.. and download the via pci latency patch..

9. Tiesto

Tiesto OSNN Addict

Ok, wow it works. Ive tested it with UT2K3 and it works great. The only problem is that the sound crackles which is a known problem with Athlon CPU's, which I am trying to correct. Many thanks to SickBoi.

10. Gus K

Gus K NTFS abuser

I would also add that the 30's to 40's series drivers are optimized for the GF3's and GF4's. My GF2 GTS works best with 29.42.

11. brummie

brummie OSNN Addict

The latency Patch is for the sound crackle not to sort out video cards!! LOL

12. SickBoi

SickBoi Kicker of Elves

its not only for sound crackle.. hardware collision crashes things.. KABOOOOM silly earthling.. everyone always assumes its a video problem when things crash..

13. gothic

gothic LinuXPert

Yeah, I found the newer detonators caused more incompatability issues than ever before......gone back to the 30.32 (I think..not at home at the moment) and all went well again. I also found that in Battlefield 1942 the soundcard is set to software by default, I turned on hardware accel. and all crackling in that game disappeared.

TOK

14. Tiesto

Tiesto OSNN Addict

Yeah, my sound is messed up now. Gus K, do you have a link to or have the 29.42 drivers?

15. brummie

brummie OSNN Addict

It was the only thing metioned, :D GAMES!!

16. SickBoi

SickBoi Kicker of Elves

no..it was the last thing mentioned..

17. Tiesto

Tiesto OSNN Addict

Ok, Im removing the PCI latency patch since the sound is like hell.

18. brummie

brummie OSNN Addict

And the first :rolleyes:

19. Gus K

Gus K NTFS abuser

20. Tiesto

Tiesto OSNN Addict

Yeah, I got the 29.42 drivers, hopefullt it works now. Will I have to apply the VIA 4 in 1 drivers again?