RAMBUS memory

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by randmdavis, Mar 4, 2004.

1. randmdavis

randmdavis OSNN Junior Addict

I have a hp vectra vl600 733 mhz tower with 1 stick of rambus 700 mhz non ecc memory in it. I have 2 sticks of rambus 800-45s and it won't work with this computer. Is there any changes I have to make anywhere to get it to work? The computer keeps rebootong with this memory in it.

2. firehawk

firehawk OSNN Addict

Rambus memory usually has to be installed in pairs, are you sure it's rambus that you have in there now?

Are you running the latest BIOS version for your board? Updated to the latest may give you the capability to run the faster memory, but you still cannot mix the speeds!

3. randmdavis

I have 1 stick of 128 rambus 700 mhz with a crimm in the other slot, i'm trying to change to 2 sticks of 128 800-45s for a total of 256. will do a bios update, but was there aything else i might need to do or is there anything in the bios that i've got to change.

4. firehawk

firehawk OSNN Addict

Nope, the rest should be automatic. You are taking your old stick out right? Make sure you put the new in there corresponding banks and the remaining bank has to have CRIMMs in it.

5. randmdavis

only have 2 banks will put 1 stick of 128 in each bank. my bios versio is HY.01.05us. after looking at hp site i can't determine which one to get, can you tell me which one. thanks

6. randmdavis

thanks a bunch, found out that 1 stick was bad, tried 1 stick with crimm and it worked, then tried the other stick with the crimm and it wouldn't work.

thanks again my friend
    james