ram question

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by vivid_vibe, Mar 18, 2004.

1. vivid_vibe

vivid_vibe OSNN Senior Addict

Hi everyone,

I recently upgraded from 512mb of generic sdr ram to 1024mb of crucial ddr266. I was under the impression I would see a noticable increase in performance, but I haven't. I installed the 2 sticks of 512mb ddr266 properly, so I'm at a loss as to what the problem could be. Any ideas?

vivid

2. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

Have you run a defrag recently? How many programs are running in the background?

3. vivid_vibe

vivid_vibe OSNN Senior Addict

Umm, I usually have between 20 and 25 processes running in the background. I defrag once a day, so that doesn't seem likely to be the problem, but thanks.

vivid

4. dreamliner77

dreamliner77 The Analog Kid

My guess is gonna be something along the lines of 1) If you have a mobo that supports both sdr and ddr, it's fairly old and the bottle neck is elsewhere or 2) You just haven't run into something that really needs that much ram.

If you want to sastify yourself, put the sdr back in, run some benchmarks, then swap in the ddr and run them again and check the differences.

5. Xie

Xie - geek - Subscribed User Folding Team

Try running more ram intensive programs .. or just more programs. Also defragging once a day is probably 1) more then needed 2) couter-productive since thats more wear and tear on your HD