RAID help. bad stripe

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by canadian_divx, Jun 13, 2005.

1. canadian_divx

canadian_divx Canadian_divx

on anouther raid question as i am learning. i have a stripe of 4 drives. one of them is bad and goes wierd about 10 min into operation. i have a high point raid device.

am i able to remove the bad drive and put in a new good one that is of the same specs and modle as the other and tell it to rebuild the array and it work? with out losing all my data from the array? or is that data good and gone?

2. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

If it's a stripe as you say (i.e. RAID 0) the answer is a big no. RAID 0 has no redundancy, so if any drive fails, all i lost. If you are running RAID 3 or RAID 5 however, one disk may be removed and replaced without loosing any data.

3. Heeter

Heeter Overclocked Like A Mother

Say goodbye to your RAID 0 setup, like Zedric said..Only mirroring drives will info be saved.

Heeter

4. VenomXt

VenomXt Blame me for the RAZR's Folding Team

correct me if im worng but raid 1 and 10 also would be able to rebuild the array. doesnt help you but i think worth mentioning.

5. Heeter

Heeter Overclocked Like A Mother

VenomXT,

You are correct. Basically, RAID0 is really the only non-redundant array. All others may be striped, but usually have a mirrored setup "overlooking" the striped array. This always multiple drives (More than three drives). If I remember correctly, I think Intel created a RAID1.5 which involves striped/mirrored setup, but only between two drives. I personally don't how it works though.

Heeter

6. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

True forgot that. RAID 10 ("01", "0,1", "0+1", "1+0") combines RAID 1 and 0. I left RAID 1 out though as that only works on two drives (right? 4 drives in RAID 1 would be very redundant).