Radeon 9500np ---> 9700.. shoud this card work?

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by ThePunkerGuy, Sep 30, 2003.

1. ThePunkerGuy

ThePunkerGuy Guest

Alrighty, i found this card http://store.yahoo.com/pcmemory-stores/ra9512ddragd.html you can get it with the L Shaped memory for $14 more. A review on Reseller ratings says he softmoded his card perfectly from them. Is that the right card, should it have a good chance of softmoding? Its the black PCB, but isnt that softmodable as well? I think this site says it is able to be moded http://www.ocfaq.com/softmod/faq.php . And what is the differnce between Hardmoding and Softmoding.. and does softmoding it really make a huge difference.. would it make it faster than a 9600pro? So here is my decision, should i get a Power Color Radeon 9600 Pro from Newegg, or should i get one of these cards and try to softmod it? What do you guys think?? Thanks!
    - Mike

2. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

there is no guarantee...

the guideline is a rough guideline and you should go by it @ your own risk...

some 9500np's 4 extra have working pipelines (as in the 9700 non-pro) but this depends... you can get lucky and have a 9700non-pro instead of a 9500 non-pro for a good price... or you can be unlucky and get stuck with what you bought...

its your call...

3. Petros

Petros Thief IV

I already tried to get the 9500 NP and upgrade to a 9700. This was big news about nine months ago, but by now any 9500s that will work correctly with the softmod have been picked through already. An "L"-shaped memory lineup on the PCB doesn't mean it will work. I know from personal experience. It's not worth the restocking fee... Get a 9700.

Sadly, I used to have a 9500 that I softmodded, but then i pulled a chip off of it. Did you know the heat spreader of the voltage regulator is glued on? Umm yeah... :(

4. ThePunkerGuy

ThePunkerGuy Guest

I know this is old news, i wanted one of these cards back then but had no use for it.. hence i have a Radeon 9800 Pro.. this is for a secnd rig that now needs a good vid card for $150 or less.. but i found one company that is selling these cards directly and they dont have a restocking fee.. i emailed to ensure the red pcb and L shaped memory, if they say it does have that, the its worth a try... all i would be out is $5 for shippping on an RMA! What do ya think? Thanks!
    - Mike

5. ThePunkerGuy

ThePunkerGuy Guest

Also, if you go to resellerratings for this company http://store.yahoo.com/pcmemory-stores/ra9512ddragd.html they dont have the best reviews because of their memory, but one guy who bought one of these cards about 2 weeks ago... L shaped with Black PCB, said it softmoded like a dream... hhhhhmmmmmmmm
    - Mike

6. Petros

Petros Thief IV

If it's just a $5 RMA fee, go for it! I just assumed it would be similar to the 15% restocking fee I got ($17.50 plus the $8 I spent to ship it back.)