Radeon 9000 pro, dead?

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Tabula Rasa, Jul 24, 2004.

1. Tabula Rasa

Tabula Rasa Stranger Than Kindness Political User

I managed to get my hands on a Radeon 9000 pro 128M DDR V/D/VO.
    When I installed it into the AGP slot and powered on my PC the boot screen was all puzzled up and windows refused to load normally.
    I have a slight suspicion it is burned out or something (sience it has no fan, only a heatsink).
    Tho I'm pretty sure its dead, l'd like to be sure before I add to SPeedY_Bs harware kill site :p

Any ideas?

2. toretto

toretto Mentally Absent

i have a 9200, that too doesnt have a fan and it works fine, i would make sure that it is properly seated. a lot of new boards dont support the lower end cards such as the 2x agp cards. i dont know if that is a 4x card, but the voltage required may not be supported on your board.

3. Tuffgong4

Tuffgong4 The Donger Need Food!!!! Political User

check your bios of the comp and the manufacturer of the card for the voltage...you might be able to set the voltage for the card in the bios of the comp

4. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon The One and Only

Benny, if you mean "puzzled up" as in it showed a whole bunch of colored squares all over the screen, but you could still kinda tell it was the boot screen, then it probably is dead. My GeForce 4 Ti4200 did what i just said to me already. was actually killed by not having a beefy enough power supply.

5. Tabula Rasa

My old gfx (the one installed now) is A GF2 32mb, so I doubt its an old/new problem :p
    I'll check for the votage, tho I can't find info about the ATI card anywhere :(

6. Dan04

Dan04 OSNN Addict

best thing to do is to try it in another computer that is more powerful than the one you want it to work in to see whether or not the card is stuffed

7. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

sounds dead :)

tell-tale patterns of heat damage (probably amongst other things)

try running the card with the A/C on :D

j/k

8. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

Your card is F....'d. The bios screen is VGA and uses no drivers so any card should handle it with no setting changes anywhere.

If it were just scrambled in windows the resolution might be set too high or a geforce driver might still be lurking somewhere in the system. The fixes for that is with a good card in the system set ti to 800x600 16 bit color. Then increase it when then new card is up and runnig. And for the driver use nastyfileremover. nfr.exe

9. Tabula Rasa

I was pretty sure its ****ed, just wanted to be 100% sure before I stick it in the oven and take some pictures :p
    Thanks for the help guys :)

10. dreamliner77

dreamliner77 The Analog Kid

try reseating the heatsink and/or adding a fan to it first.