Radeon 8500LE or 8500?

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by _DM_, Sep 20, 2002.

1. _DM_

_DM_ OSNN Senior Addict

Money is a big issue to me and I cant get those GeForce Ti4600 or a Radeon 9700... Well i'm thinking that I'm gona get a Radon 8500. But which one? Radeon 8500 or Radeon 8500LE whats the difference? And which one is better? Oh yea, how much fps will I get if I play Morrowind with a Radeon 8500? 70fps?

2. chastity

chastity Moderator Political User

One version and I thinks its the LE as more ram onboard the card. One version as 64MB ram onboard and the other as 128MB ram onboard. I would suggest getting the one with 128MB of ram onboard. As to many fps u'll get an any given game I don't know. I hope that helps.

3. _DM_

_DM_ OSNN Senior Addict

Aight thnxs

4. chastity

5. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

not quite chastity...

in fact the LE is basically just a lower clocked version of the 8500 retail..

there are some versions that come with slightly overclocked gpu's...

here is the breakdown... all 8500's incl the LE come in 64mb and 128 mb versions...

the LE has a core clock of 250mhz.. the retail 8500 has a clock of 275... and the oc'd version that you CAN get for more money has a clock of 300mhz..

the 8500 should give you almost same fps as 4200... just under actually... but better picture quality...

6. chastity

Well I said I think but thanks for clearing that up for me, Sazar

7. blinden

blinden OSNN Senior Addict

I just put an 8500 le in my system yesterday, I scored around 8500 (ironically) on 3dmark, that's with a XP1600+ and 512 megs DDR. It's not a bad card, for the price, it's got a lot of bang, it rocks the ut2k3 demo too, man that looks sweet. I don't think you would be disapointed if you save a few dollars on the le, it's easy to overclock too

8. RobbieSan

RobbieSan Guest

yeah, either one would be nice.. grab a 128MB version if you can..

9. blinden

blinden OSNN Senior Addict

ohh yeah, that extra 64 megs is huge, I know a guy that almost has the exact same set up as me, runs 3dmark and scores like 6000

10. _DM_

_DM_ OSNN Senior Addict

Can a Radeon 8500 run smoothly and buetiful on Morrowind? How much FPS whould I get if I run it on 100x700 resolution?

11. DeviLduck

DeviLduck Guest

Currently, BEST Nvidia card for the buck-----Ti4200 !

Check this out: http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,3973,541320,00.asp

Best video card period, for now: Radeon 9700 Pro is awesome, & I'll be selling my Leadtek Ti4600 soon. (never thought I'd say that)

The next set of Radeon drivers will have refresh rate control built-in & the Rage 3D Tweak Utility, v.3.6, is the most useful video card utility I've ever experienced, so many options & tweaks. Keep in mind, I'm a confirmed Nvidia freak saying this. Gave up on ATI years ago, until now.

Latest 3DM score, P4 + Radeon 9700 OCed on AIR cool: 17,444
    http://service.madonion.com/compare?2k1=4424539

NV30 will have to be something incredible, when it comes out, several months from now, to answer this ATI effort.

12. G-Lizard86

G-Lizard86 Guest

I'm also gonna buy a new card, and since money is a big issue for me, and the cards here are quite expensive, what do you advise? Never had any experience with either ATI or NVidia, this is my setup: Celeron 1.3 @ 1.48ghz, 512 mb sdram, Aopen MX3S-T µATX, the rest is not very important, what i find important is that the card has enough options and tweaks and stuff so i can overclock it easily, 128 ram is a must, right now i'm thinking of either a GF4 Ti4200 128 ram, or an ATI, but i don't know with which ATI i can compare the GF, got any advice?

13. DeviLduck

DeviLduck Guest

GF4 4200/128 is best bet, if not going for Radeon 9700. I wouldn't buy a Radeon 8500 over a GF4.

14. G-Lizard86

G-Lizard86 Guest

ohkay...and for the GF, what manufacturer do you advice?

15. DeviLduck

DeviLduck Guest

The Leadtek GF4 is great. Abit has a GF4 that's receiving excellent reviews. Whatever card, check the memory specs carefully & pay special attention to how card is cooled. I always rig an extra fan inside case, pointed toward backside of video card.

Also, check this out: Albatron GeForce4 Ti4200P-Turbo 128MB Review
    http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1226

16. GhaLeoN

GhaLeoN Guest

my visiontek gf4 ti 4200 is running so sweet

VERY glad i got this card

17. G-Lizard86

G-Lizard86 Guest

is a GF4 Ti4200 easy overclockable

18. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

msi is probably the top maker of gf ti series cards right now and their cards are not that expensive..

8500 retail series is not bad, a little slower than the g4 ti 4200 in most benches but picture quality is better..

either way you can't go wrong...

and yes the ti 4200 is easily overclockable though I dont see the point in going form 250 fps to 300 fps in say unreal tournament or quake 3 or something...

19. demon4870

demon4870 Guest

My opinion

I agree with blinden I have had a 8500 LE for quite some time now the 128 version and i dont really think you will see much of a difference from the 8500 to the 8500 LE, I think the LE is worth the money you save. As for the ATi vs. Geforce I think thats just what u prefer, two of my roomates have Ti 4200's and When i play on thier computer I cant really tell much of a difference. The cool thing about ATi's now though is thier trade-up program, so whenever you want to get a new card you just trade in your old one and get a discount on your new one. I dont know exactly how much of a discount they give you but its still a nice addition.:D

20. _DM_

_DM_ OSNN Senior Addict

Ok the next problem is I dont have a credit card... And I dont even wana borther asking my mom for a credit card number cause she doesnt trust the internet lol. So where can I find a site that supports money order?