quictime playback problem-How to get rid of "green" screen??

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by LPDad, Jun 29, 2005.

1. LPDad

LPDad OSNN Addict

When I try to play quicktime movie clips that were saved to my harddrive the playback starts out ok (the beginning of the clip starts to play ok) but then a "green" screen pops over the playback. I figured this was some sort of protection quicktime put into their player to keep people from unauthorized viewing, however sometimes I can view the clips with no problem.
    This happened in the past, but I had upgraded to QuicktimePro 6.5 and everything was working great....then I just had to try the new QTv7.0 and BAM!! the stupid green blocking screen came back.....serves me right for messing with a working program...I just could not help myself.
    Anyway
    I have tried Quicktimealternative, and the 3vix (sp?) codecs and sometimes I can view 1 or 2 clips with no problem, but then eventually the green screen comes back.

Anyone have a similar problem??? How do I get around this??? I usually download the clips for new movies to show my kids...but it is a pain when they do not work.

Thanks for any help

-LP

2. enuffsaid

enuffsaid OSNN Junior Addict

Hi LPDad,

Have you tried playing your QuickTime movies in VLC player?
    http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

If I'm correct it will play QuickTime movies without the need to install Apple's QT.

HTH,
    'nuff

3. Mastershakes

Mastershakes Moderator

Is it '3ivx_d4_451_win' that you installed?

Is it an Nvidea card?

4. LPDad

LPDad OSNN Addict

Yep, after I have the 3ivx)d4_451 codec. (I think that the latest codec was installed when I upgraded to QuicktimePro 7.0
    Yes, I have an nVidia FX5950

I have tried VideoLan and it initally seemed to work but now the sound won't play (I have not reinstalled yet)

The stupid green screen is driving me nuts... seems I can play the video one time, but if I try to play another file the green screen pops up.

Any way around this??? Older codec, older player???

-thanks for any suggestions.

5. celticfan11

celticfan11 Moderator

if im not mistaken the codec that would make stuff green for me was ffdshow or something like that.

did you try vlc player?

6. zeke_mo

zeke_mo (value not set) Staff Member Political User Folding Team

Sounds like it might be a driver problem, try reinstalling video drivers

7. celticfan11

celticfan11 Moderator

remove all video drivers, and codecs. Start from scratch, installing 1 thing... testing.. installing another thing.. testing etc.. You will narrow it down this way.