Quicktime quandry

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Funkyb, Apr 18, 2004.

1. Funkyb

Funkyb Simple

Simple one realy. I want to know where the quicktime internet plugin's cache store the clips it shows on the web. I want to be able to store stuff like movie trailers on my pc and not have to download them evertime I want to watch a .mov trailer.

the_music_man likes this.
  2. Electronic Punk

Electronic Punk Administrator Staff Member Political User Folding Team

I think there is a checkbox to fill out to save em... I normally save most of them as I go... otherwise look for .mov or .qt in your internet cache.

the_music_man likes this.
  3. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

As punk says, I'm sure there's something in the options regarding it.

If you buy (yes, buy....yeck, I know) QuickTime Pro, you can simply save the movies right off the page.

Funkyb likes this.
  4. Geffy

Geffy Moderator Folding Team

if you dont have the pro version which is what allows you to save them from the little embedded player then they usually get stuck in the temp internet files for msie or wherever your browser caches files

5. muzikool

muzikool Act your wage. Political User

They are downloaded into Temporary Internet Files, as Geffy said.

The path is c:\documents and settings\user\local settings\temporary internet files

6. Funkyb

Funkyb Simple

Thanks for the advice but it looks like the trailer I am after is a sly bugger. I have switched on the save in cache thingy but I dont have pro version. Most of the trailers I have are stuck in the temp directory but the one for 'I, Robot' isnt. www.irobotmovie.com for anybody who wants to give it a go.

7. muzikool

Found it.

I can't really explain this, but the file did stay in the folder that I mentioned above, with your username in place of "user" in the directory. What I can't explain is that when I browsed for the file, I couldn't find it, but when I did a search in that folder for ".mov" it came up.

Be sure and leave your browser window open with the quicktime file fully downloaded, just to be sure that it isn't flushed out of the cache when you close the window... then try the search.

By the way, I'm looking forward to this film. :)

8. Funkyb

Funkyb Simple

Thanks for the advice Muzikool but the only .mov file I find is a 2kb shortcut to that makes me access the video again. Bugga.
    Suppose they just dont want me to have it

9. muzikool

Hmm... sorry I can't explain what the deal is. Wish I could upload it here for you to get, but it's a bit too large.

10. fitz

fitz Just Floating Along Staff Member Political User Folding Team

Funkyb,

Normally, those 2k files are shortcuts that point to the final location of the .mov file. Try opening the 2k shortcut in a text editor. It should contain a link to the full .mov file.

From there, you can either open that link from the text file in your browser and see if quicktime will then cache the full movie or, my preference is to write a plain old static .html page with the link to the move. Then you can do a right-click/save as.. from any browser.

muzikool and Funkyb like this.
  11. Funkyb

Funkyb Simple

I like your style fitz. Straight in, first post and my problem solved.

12. Lee

Lee OSNN Proxy

I know this is odd but has anyone ever noticed that if you install quicktime alternative it registers quick time ?

13. muzikool

Nice job fitz, I never even thought about that! :D

14. fitz

fitz Just Floating Along Staff Member Political User Folding Team

yeah, I actually wasn't going to sign up at all. But this was a problem I actually knew how to fix and I figured I would share my knowledge.

BTW - similiar things can be done with the .asx and .wmf files