Quicker with 2 hard drives?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Red Arrow, Apr 7, 2003.

1. Red Arrow

Red Arrow Guest

I remember reading somewhere that having 2 hard drives, 1 with just the OS on it, and 1 with everything else. Is quicker than just having 1 HD with everything on it.

Is this true?

2. sboulema

sboulema Moderator

hmm i dont think so. i think it wouldnt have any affects on the speed.. but i could be worng ;)

3. j79zlr

j79zlr Glaanies script monkey Political User

It is faster to have the Page File on a seperate Hard Drive on a seperate controller but, in all honesty, the speed increase is hardly noticeable. Having games on a seperate HDD on a seperate controller can also increase performance, slightly.

The reasoning is that both hard drives can be written to simultaneously so paging operations and writing to the system files can be done at the same time. This is why a seperate controller is needed, so there is no data collision as if they were running on the same IDE cable.

4. Red Arrow

Red Arrow Guest

Thats what I sort of thought. That there would only be a slight difference in speed.

Cheers.

5. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

- You don't need a separate controller, just a separate channel.
    - You probably don't even need that since the disks are much slower than the interface (unless it's burst data och cached data).

So yes, it's faster. Can't tell you how much it will do.