Quick question, annoying problem

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Scott Young, Sep 18, 2004.

1. Scott Young

Scott Young Real picture of me

since noone answered my last post i decided to re-post

After recently getting ADSL, i ran network wizard for my network (2 computers, one XP, the host pc runs XP SP2) it worked fine previous to this when the computers shared dail-up. Now however all operations are normal (kazaa, msn messenger) but when you try to access a website with IE6 it doesnt work, it says the site is forbidden, it didnt do this when i shared dail-up but that was before i installed SP2.

i could browse sites on the client computer before i installed xp2 (only on the host computer) and before i ran the network wizard to share adsl, and all sites are forrbidden

2. dreamliner77

dreamliner77 The Analog Kid

Hmmm, have you tried the most recent SP2 hotfix?

3. Scott Young

nope, dont think thatll work

4. Tweakfiend

Tweakfiend OSNN Senior Addict

Suggest you might want to run Spybot etc for possible spyware/ trojans.
    Kazaa loads spyware by default, for example.

5. Khayman

Khayman I'm sorry Hal... Political User Folding Team

Can you only not access sites through IE6, can you use another browser? if so, thens its a configuation problem with IE (check hosts file, proxy settings etc).
    Do you share the connection through a router or is it just though the host computer?
    Make sure the settings on the client are correct, don't know if you need to proxy it through the host or somthing

6. Electronic Punk

Electronic Punk Administrator Staff Member Political User Folding Team

Definatly strange, I am thinking more of a corruption than some kind of setting, as Internet Explorers proxy settings would be global?

7. cryogenic

cryogenic OSNN Addict

Almost sounds like that stupid content advisor got enabled somehow... Also, don't forget that SP2 enables the firewall by default, though I've not had any trouble with that causing sites to be forbidden or unreachable. I couldn't quite understand from the post whether he's having the problem on both computers or just the client computer.

8. Scott Young

thanks for replies

ok this only affects the client pc, it affects all browsers (tried with gamespy and kazaa browsers too) i will try running spy bot, and i tried turning off firewalls on both pcs..nothing worked, possible proxy setting misconfig but i know ass all about that kinda thing