Questions regarding MS Longhorn scheme

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by wind3D, Dec 10, 2004.

1. wind3D

wind3D OSNN Addict

Hey folks...
    I was wondering if this stuck out to anyone else...
    It seems that the new colors for Windows will be black and white? I am not saying I dont like this, but whenever I see any screenshots, their is so much black and white in them...

Now I'm not a marketing expert, but my guess is that maybe Microsoft did a little research into colors and how they affect the brain before developing Longhorn. A lot of people use certain colors on their websites, presentations, etc. to emit a certain sub-conscious signal that says "Hey, I like these colors, I think I'm going to back this guy up with whatever he wants".

When I look at the Longhorn GUI, I say, "Hey, this is really simple, neat, and clean. I like it, I want it. Let's do this".

Edit: Now, I'm sure that Microsoft will implement a customizable GUI, as they always do (What's a shell without it), but it seems that they paid special attention to the colors black and white.

2. Tittles

Tittles Dabba Dooba Political User

Well for one its only in alpha stage so alot of things could change from now til the final. Two I just looked at some screen shots and havent seen any with black and white like u say. Netryder seems to know more about Longhorn so you should wait and see what he says.

3. wind3D

wind3D OSNN Addict

4. Tittles

Well...i just hurried and looked at a site with them when i said that they didnt have alot of black and white. Plus i dont have the greatest memory when it comes to pics :).

5. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

That's because none of those screenshots are of Longhorn. [​IMG]

The two that you posted above are XP with Longhorn-inspired themes not created by Microsoft. The last actual public Longhorn alpha still wouldn't be able to give you a real picture of what we'll be seeing in 2006, since the UI in Build 4074 is still almost completely XP-like with very few changes and enhancements (mainly to the shellstyle).

The new user interface in Longhorn will use XAML and the Avalon APIs to create something that is completely different from anything we've seen so far.

6. Tittles

:)...see i told you net knows everything about LH :p. I am thinking about reinstalling LH since my boot.ini had was changed when i reinstalled xp and now i cant choose lh as a option.

7. the_music_man

the_music_man aka prodj88 =P

hows it different from anythign we've seen so far

8. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

Avalon is built on top of DirectX, meaning that almost everything from the time you boot up your system to the time you shut it down will use your graphics subsystem for hardware-acceleration.
    Now think of all the possibilities you can have with that. None of the builds we have seen so far take advantage of these capabilities. :)