Questions about "Multi-Netting"

F

fyreme

Hi,

This is my first post. I am studying for the 291 test. In dhcp i came across the term "multinetting". I understand the basics, that it allows for multiple subnets on the same physical subnet. But I have never really read anything in depth on the subject, and would consider myself fairly well versed in tcp/ip.

Could anyone point me to further study, how it is implemented, etc? I hate only knowing something vaguely, it drives me nutz.

tia
norm

btw if subnetting is used to limit a broadcast domain, why multinet? i take it the custom subnetting and multinetting are mutually exclusive?

Thank you Kcnychief.

I'll read it and post soon. Thanks again!

Knowledge is power

Im guessing that multinetting is a subject that is covered in depth in cisco networking?

Thanks for an excellant article.

If you are referring to the 70-291, you don't need to know too much about multi-netting. The only thing you need to know related to IP addressing is the classes and how to subnet.

I am refering to 291. I am just curious, and always want to know more, knowledge is power.

The text says to use multinetting when your number of hosts on a subnet grows beyond available addresses. What confuses me is if two dhcp servers are handing out ip addys, how, when the network is first configured, are the host ip's determine, that is, how are host configured for a particular subnet, since two servers with 2 scopes are available.

I understand how renewing a lease would work, the network address would be used to determine which scope, and therefore, which dhcp server to use.

Also, I have read to keep a subnet below 100 hosts, as broadcasts will saturate the available bandwith. Is this correct? How many hosts can reasonably populate a subnet.

Guys, thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions, I really really appreciate it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back