Question on setting up vista

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by ejn74, Jun 11, 2006.

1. ejn74

ejn74 Folding Master! Political User Folding Team

I currently dual boot winXP and Suse 9.3 using the bootloader for Suse. I would like to just add vista and make it triple boot. Does anyone know if running through the install of Vista will change the bootloader to what vista uses or would the Suse Bootloader still be the one in use?

2. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

From what I can see when dual-booting XP/Vista, the boot menu looks slightly different to that if I dual-boot with 2 copies of XP. So, my guess is that the system will use the bootmanager of the last installed OS.

3. ejn74

That is what I was think as well.

Does anyone know of a way to make it so that doesn't happen withoit starting over from scratch?

4. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

That's right.

Once you install Vista, NTLDR will add XP and itself to your boot menu. You'll need to restore LILO/GRUB so that you can boot into Linux again. One way to do it is by using a Live CD like Knoppix. ExtremeTech has a quick guide here: http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1928200,00.asp

5. ejn74

I am not as familar with Linux. Does anyone know off hand if Suse 9.3 uses lilo of Grub by default?

6. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

I think recent versions of SuSE default to GRUB, but I'm not certain.
    Check if you have a /boot/grub/menu.lst file. If you do, you're using GRUB.

7. falconguard

falconguard Carbon based lifeform Political User Folding Team

I know I am using GRUB as a boot loader for 10, so you are probably using the same for 9.3, If you still have the Suse cd or dvd you can use it as a rescue cd or odwnload the first Suse CD and use that as a resce cd to restore the GRUB.