Question for round cables

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by xk_2hot4u, Jul 28, 2003.

1. xk_2hot4u

xk_2hot4u Guest

I'm planning on buying a Antec Cobra A26 Round 133 ATA Cable Model 77226 and was wondering if it will have enough connectors on it for my hard drive, cd burner, and dvd burner drives. Do I need to get two or will one connect all of these?

Thanks for responses

2. Un4gIvEn1

Un4gIvEn1 Moderator

an IDE cable will never have more than 3 connectors... 1 into the MB, and 2 for devices. So... you can only have 2 devices per cable.

3. SmkyB

SmkyB Guest

You are correct about the cable, but only 99.9% of the time. I was doing some work on a system built by ASL and discovered a 36" four connector IDE cable. It blew my mind, the most amazing thing was that it worked, but it was still limited to the two devices of course. Just thought I would let you know.

4. Petros

Petros Thief IV

Why on earth would they make one like that? [​IMG] Can't use the third one anyway :confused:

5. Un4gIvEn1

Un4gIvEn1 Moderator

SmkyB: It was non-standard. I bet that they were also non-CS.

6. SmkyB

SmkyB Guest

No, it was not standard and not CS. The only reason they used a cable like that, so far as I can figure, is because is a tall Chenbro case that they may need the extra length, the extra cable adapter is if the drives were separated in the case by a long distance. I was mostly surprised that the length of the cable was not to long.

7. Petros

Petros Thief IV

That would make sense, because you might want to reconfigure where your drives were and not have to worry about replacing cables.

8. GoNz0

GoNz0 NTFS Stoner

i have a kit to make ide leads up, so i dare say it was someone who needed the connectors in a diffrent place and added a couple on, probably didnt want to take the others off incase it messed up the cable.