Question and Help

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Sinster, Sep 9, 2003.

1. Sinster

Sinster Moderator

I have a BEFSR41 Router. I have 4 computers connected into it. 3 out of the 4 can access the internet. The 4th is a 98SE and I can't get on the internet. The network picks it up, but can't surf the web with it. My router is setup not to act as DHCP. I have assigned IP to each of them myself. I setup the router as the gateway.

uplink empty
    Port 1 WinXP
    Port 2 WinXP
    Port 3 Win98SE
    Port 4 Win98SE > can't connect.
    WAN Cable Modem

2. JJB6486

JJB6486 Retired Mod Political User

Check your cable. The cable might be bad (or of the wrong type). Bad cables can still cause the link light to stay on, but the packet loss is massive.

Can you ping the internal IP of the router from that PC that does not work? Or any of the other computers?

JJB

3. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

If you can see and talk to the 4th computer on the LAN then all cables, protocols and connections are fine.

Try a large file transfer from #1 or 2 to #4 and check the data rate. It should be ~1.2 mega BYTES per second it's a 10mbit network, over 10 megabytes per second if its a 100megabit network. If rates are in that ball park there is no substantial data packet loss.

Make sure all the settings on the 4th machine are the same as those on the third (it's using 98 and surfing).

Check if #4 has a firewall installed that is limited to LAN only.

4. Sinster

Sinster Moderator

Thanks for your input. I was bitten by the dumb ass bug. I put 198 instead of 168 in my DNS Server fields.

5. JJB6486

JJB6486 Retired Mod Political User

Ah, the old error between the keyboard and chair.

JJB