Question about USB hubs

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by belveder, Sep 27, 2010.

1. belveder

belveder OSNN Senior Addict

Question about USB hubs I have an external hard drive connected to my router through usb. When I have copied what I want to watch to the hard drive through the router I have to disconnect the usb from the router and plug it into my home cinema to what it on the tv

what I am wondering is if I get a usb hub (or something similar recommended here) can I plug a usb from the router and a usb from the home cinema to the hub and then a usb from the hub to the hard drive. In doing so could I then have files copying from my pc to the hard drive through the router while watching stuff already on the hard drive?

Any help appreciated

2. Johnny

Johnny .. Commodore .. Political User

I don't think you can connect a hub to the router. I could be wrong, but I have never heard of that .. Also, I am not quite sure what you are asking. Can you try to rephrase it please?

3. Admiral Michael

Admiral Michael Michaelsoft Systems CEO Folding Team

Some routers do have USB and it can basically serve two purposes. By attaching a USB HDD you turn it into a NAS or sometimes you can connect a printer and make the router act as a print server.

What the OP wants to basically do is split the USB between the router AND his home cinema, so he doesn't have to disconnect and reconnect all the time.

Can you do this? The answer would be no. First of all a USB hub doesn't work like that and secondly you may damage the hard drive as it's receiving power from two sources.

My question is why do you have to connect the drive to your router, why not connect it directly to your PC?

4. Johnny

I know that some routers do have usb ports on them. My interpretation was that he wanted to hook a usb hub to the router. Which is something I never heard of ..

5. sharkbu

sharkbu OSNN One Post Wonder

sorry never tried that before ? i will try if i have opportunity
    now waiting for your good news
    hope u will success

[​IMG]

6. Admiral Michael

Admiral Michael Michaelsoft Systems CEO Folding Team

Ah, I believe some routers can use a USB hub to connect 2 HDDs but in terms of sharing one device between two hosts I don't think you could do that.

Only ways is if someone made a type of A/B switch for USB.

7. Johnny

You have me interested now. i am going to do some research on this. :)

8. belveder

belveder OSNN Senior Addict

thanks for the replies, I didn't think it could be done that's why I asked first lol. My tv, home cinema and hard drive are in a different room, a little far away for a usb cable, my lounge is central in the house so I have my router in there, that's why the hard drive is able to be plugged into the router and home cinema, it works quite well copying from the pc to the hard drive through the router wirelessly:)