Question about upgrading to a P4...

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by corsiman, Nov 29, 2002.

1. corsiman

corsiman Guest

Hey everyone,

I have been using a P3 600 for the past 3 years now, and its time for an upgrade. I came across a retail promo that intel was running...a P4 2.53 and the D845PEBT2 board, among other things. :) Now, I know that this board requires an ATX12V power supply to run. But, I heard when you buy a P4, you also need a special type of case too.

I have a basic case now that I really like, but it has none of the P4 specs. If I replace the power supply with the ATX12V one, would I be good, or do I need to replace the whole case? I don't wanna build this thing, and have it melt down on me.

Thanks!

2. stuy_b

stuy_b Guest

Make sure you get an ATX compatible case, you dont need a SPECIAL CASE for a P4, only a PSU that has an additional connector for the motherboard. Its the PSU that HAS TO BE P4 approved. :)

3. Smokie

Smokie A Proud Australian

I run an Intel P4 2.53 on an Intel D845EBG2 M/B but you will need at least a 350W PSU but a 400+W PSU would be better.

I would also suggest that with your case, make sure you have good ventilation, even if it means adding an extra fan or two.

4. zoey

zoey Guest

I'm still using my HP case that my P2 400 was in:D