Question About Temp File Extensions

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Candy, Aug 21, 2005.

1. Candy

Candy OSNN One Post Wonder

I'm trying to figure out which temporary files are safe to delete. I have questions about the following extensions. They are all found in temporary internet files. Thank you to whomever may be able to help:

ASPX
    CRL
    CSS
    File
    GIF
    HTML
    JPEG
    JS
    MSPX
    NET
    PHP
    SWF

2. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

Anything in temporary internet files is safe to delete. This directory is used by your internet browser to speed up future browsing. Say, if you visit www.osnn.net, the top left corner has a logo picture for the big OSNN.net. Your computer downloads that picture, which will in essence, let the page load faster next time.

Hope that helps.

3. RickyC

RickyC OSNN Addict

All temporary internet files should be safe to delete. They are just cached files from the websites you visit. The file extentions you mention are just web pages or files that are called up within web pages. In theory these files speed up browsing when visiting the same websites often, but in reality it doesn't make much of a difference, especially with the increased speed of internet connections these days.

EDIT: kcnychief beat me to it :)

4. Candy

Candy OSNN One Post Wonder

Thanks, guys. I only question these less "common" ones, because I've seen warnings from people on other sites/forums about deleting certain files, even temporary ones, from their computers. I don't want to do something that I won't be able to call back. My computer is an ancient Compaq Presario with only 64 of RAM. I have to find speed and memory where I can.

Is this your "final answer"?

5. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

if its in "temp" or "temporary internet files" or some other "temp" place you can delete it without fear. Windows wont let you delete vital files :)