Queries on a Laptop...

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by caveman, Jul 28, 2004.

1. caveman

caveman OSNN One Post Wonder

Hi I'm wondering if anyone could give me some advice.

I want to buy a new laptop, I travell a fair bit and want to do some work but more importantly game while on the train etc.

I have a budget of £800.00. I want to be able to play games on it so want GFX memory stand alone.

Essentially I'm just enquiring if anyone has bought one recently fot this price and/or knows of anywhere good or reliable?

Thanks in advance

Ian

2. caveman

caveman OSNN One Post Wonder

Come on chiefs, someone must have bought a laptop recently??? :)

3. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

Based on what you said, you seem to need something with a relatively long battery life, something that's not too heavy, yet something that has a good graphics card.

It's going to be a little difficult to get something like that below £800. If you wait for some deals and look for a coupon, you should be able to get the 5150 from here, which has a Pentium 4-M and a 32/64MB GeForceFX Go5200 GPU. I know it was running for 799 a few days ago, and Dell's deals keep coming back.
    I'd say if you can bump up your budget a bit, the 8600c is a much better buy, mainly because of the Pentium-M processor. Again, look for coupons...they make quite a difference (you can get upto 20% off sometimes).

4. rushm001

rushm001 In the beginning...... Political User

Got some nice new laptops at work from Dell, although I think they can be a bit expensive.