Quad booting Win xp?

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by zoey, Oct 30, 2002.

1. zoey

zoey Guest

I'm building a new comp using win xp I'm going to use boot magic and I was going to have a boot for
    Win XP Programs
    Win XP Games
    Win XP Trial
    Win XP Clean

Some of you probably are thinking WHAT THE HELL! Thats what I have now with Win98 and Love it. Anyways is it going to be easy NOT to use win boot loader? Or bypass it?
  2. sboulema

sboulema Moderator

Amstelveen, The Netherlands
    yes it will be easy. cause win xp has its own bootloader. just make 4 partition and install the xp's and yuo will automatically have a bootmenu with 4 choices. And yes i think wath the hell!!! but know i understand your avatar....
  3. zoey

zoey Guest

But I don't want to use the Win XP bootloader. Ill install Xin XP once and use PM 8 to copy XP to the other partitions.

The more I think about it, the boot loader should not load 'cause i'm not actually installing windows more than once.
  4. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

Melbourne Australia
    If boot magic is compatible with xp go for it. It's a great program. :)
  5. beatlesdb

beatlesdb Guest

I don't think it will work as NT needs to creat it's own boot loader in the master boot block - you can use Boot Magic still - but becomes pointless.
  6. zoey

zoey Guest

I installed win xp twice on the drive to see what would happen. It shows this with yhe windows xp bootloader:

Windows xp pro
    Windows xp pro

Can I change it so say something else instead of windows xp pro?
    like: games,
  7. beatlesdb

beatlesdb Guest

YEs you can name it whatever you like by editing the boot.ini file in the root drive c:
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Windows NT Workstation Version 4.00"

to multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Games"
  8. zoey

zoey Guest

Thanks thats exactly what I wanted to know.