QoS, how can I limit it?

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by apu95, Aug 21, 2002.

1. apu95

apu95 Caffeine-->Code Converter

im planning on sharing my cable connection in my home so i wanna know, is it possible to limit one computers bandwidth so it doesnt hog all the connection? ill be using home edition on all the computers once i get them setup.
    if the QoS option isnt available in home edition, is there any prog i can use to apply something like this?

thx, Apu

BTW, ill be using a linksys router (or hub, i always get confused) to split the connection

2. JJB6486

JJB6486 Retired Mod Political User

Its not possible with that setup. I've only told people this 1,000 times.

I should put an announcement on top of the forum in big bold letters that says BANDWIDTH THROTTLING IS NOT POSSBILE WITH NAT, ROUTERS, ICS, AND PEER TO PEER LANs

:D

Seriosuly though, I think 3rd party SOCKS type proxy software can do that for internet usage. Though having a router already defeats the point of a proxy software.

JJB

3. beatlesdb

beatlesdb Guest

I Agree with JJB6486 about using a proxy - so using a router is pointless - save the money and get a good proxy like winproxy

4. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

I hate proxy personally. I used to use it but it allways gave me problems because all apps had to support proxies in order to use the Internet connection. Just a big mess.