PSU: How do you know when its overloaded?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Dimoe, Mar 7, 2003.

1. Dimoe

Dimoe Guest

Hey, I am thinking of getting a new 400 or 450 watt PSU.
    I currently have a 300watt psu with its connectors split multiple times. If you think about it, I could just continue splitting the connectors. So how do you know when to stop? What signs would you look for?

Also, I notice that some 400 and 450 PSU have dramatically different prices. Anyone know of a really good PSU with ONE exhaust fan. If there is two fans, is one intake and one exhaust?

Anyway, I think i'm gonna get the PSU off this site: (at bottom)
    Canada Computers - PSUs
    -direct link to PSU section, all in $CDN

Any suggestions? I'm thinking of spending around $100CDN.

2. Friend of Bill

Friend of Bill What, me worry?

You will begin to notice software corruption and hardware problems. Never overload anything electrical. If you got a CD-RW, higher-end video card, a couple of PCI devices and say two hard drives you should have at least a 400W power supply of the Enermax or Antec brands. Never skimp on a hardware device that control so many things and above all Enermax or Antec for a few buck more.:)

Also make sure you get a PSU that is voltage regulated (i.e., Antec True Power or Enermax - again):)

3. Dimoe

Dimoe Guest

Any suggestions? I think i'll get one from this list.

CoolMAX 400W ATX w/ 2 Fans $75 CDN
    Thermaltake 420W ATX Power Supply $78 CDN
    Aluminum P4 400W ATX $84 CDN
    Enermax 430W EG465P-VE DuAMD $103 CDN
    Enermax 430W EG465P-VE Dual Fan $104 CDN
    Enermax 430W EG465P-VE (FC) $109 CDN
    Kingwin KWI-450W 3-Fan, Manual Control $109 CDN

Sound is of no issue, my computer already sounds like jet engine. If there are two fans, is one usually intake and one exhaust?

4. ZipTriX

ZipTriX Guest

I have the Enermax 430W EG465P-VE Dual Fan. No problems with it. To answer the second question: Yes. It helps remove the heat from inside the case.