PSU fan stopped!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by macromp, Aug 21, 2003.

1. macromp

macromp the retarded one

title says it all really...eveything's still working and has been for the past 4 days but the case temp has gone up, it's an oldish 250w...is it time for a new one?

2. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

Definitely!
    My psu fan stopped working and it caused my pc to reboot every 45secs when its really hot.
    On one occasion, it caused windows XP to crash (blue screen) and I couldn't do anything but format and re-install windows XP.
    I've had to use my room fan to keep the temp of the psu down while I ordered a new psu.

3. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

You really need to replace that fan or get a new PSU! The PSU generates alot of heat that needs to be blown out.

If you replace the fan, most any 80mm fan will do.

4. Cosmin

Cosmin Graphic Designer

difficult to replace ?

5. GoNz0

GoNz0 NTFS Stoner

sometimes you have to cut the 3pin plug in half to fit onto the PSU 2 pin, or get the old soldering iron out in some cases. you do need some form of electrical skills to do this. and remember some capacitors remain charged after you pull the plug. so be carefull out there.

6. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

Shut down the system until you get a new fan or power supply.

I have had one catch fire after the power supply fan quit. You've been really lucky so far.

7. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

without ventilation, the power supply will get dangerously hot! very possibly a fire hazard. i agree with leejend in leaving your system off. or tape a fan to the back (exhausting) if you need a quick temporary fix.

i'd try to replace the fan before throwing it out and buying a whole new psu. you can put the fan of your choice in (led, variable speed, etc). if it ends up being too difficult, then throw it out and get a new one.

:)

8. macromp

macromp the retarded one

ok thanks guys, i'll see what happens! i'm getting a new graphics card soon and i don't think the 250w will have enough power for it...so i think i'll just get a new one...