protect folder on network

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by brocher, Feb 6, 2006.

1. brocher

brocher Moderator

How do i protect a folder on a network so that only individual accounts can view it from a wireless home network. i have a program folder on one computer(XP PRO) and two laptops(XP HOME) i want to be able to access this folder from only one laptop, how do i do this?

2. madmatt

madmatt Bow Down to the King Political User

Setup permissions on the share and permissions on the directory itself.

Right click the directory, go to the Sharing tab, select permissions. Setup permissions on the directory by clicking the Security tab.

3. Admiral Michael

Admiral Michael Michaelsoft Systems CEO Folding Team

I believe you must first go to Folder Options>View and uncheck "Use Simple File Sharing"

Now if the two laptops have differnet username, create the same username and password from the laptop you want access on the Pro machine and set it's username accordingly is the share permissions.

I THINK you can also add a computer name, Im not sure on this. I ususally just do a per user setup.

4. brocher

brocher Moderator

I'm getting there but when i get to the ADDING the name bit i cannot link to the laptop as there is only ID for the pro machine. If i add my ID of the laptop ,it just says not found.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2006
  5. omg its nlm

omg its nlm lvl 17 Hax Folding Team

XP Pro user account has to be the same as the laptop account name and password I think?

6. madmatt

madmatt Bow Down to the King Political User

Is this a domain environment? Is the folder on a server?

7. brocher

brocher Moderator

folder is on the main pc not a server, but when i go to the ADD the only pc listed is the PRO comp!

8. Admiral Michael

Admiral Michael Michaelsoft Systems CEO Folding Team

You have to do it with USER permissions. Setup 2 differnet users on each laptop, add the user to the PRO machine you want to give access and give it access thru the Share Permissions.