[Project Status - In Progress] Home Theater setup

Sazar

Rest In Peace
[Basics]

So, I went ahead and decided to get me an el-cheapo 1080P tele for the living room, just for the heck of it. There are a few new standards coming out that I am willing to save some bucks for and I figured I might as well get a tele going.

Purchased model# TX-42F430S.

First off, about the TV. The TV is actually pretty good, no ghosting that I can see and it runs everything well enough. Stock speakers are decent, stock remote is very basic. LOTS of connections, which is why I grabbed this sucker. 4 HMDI ports and plenty of other stuff.

My next step is to acquire a good Harmony remote, although I am leaning towards grabbing the Xbox version and using the PS3 adapter thingy to ensure I have a single remote for everything

[The Plan - so far completed]

The idea was to have my main system (my home computer) be the media server. I have a G-wireless network and I was going to use my Xbox as my primary media/gaming device. All respect to the PS3 but Sony doesn't come close to Microsoft when it comes to the capabilities of the product in a network.

Vista Media Center is one of the nicest features of the new Microsoft Operating system and setting up the device as a Media Center Extender was simple and easy. I am currently watching Super Troopers as I write this :)

My PS3 was also connected to the network wirelessly so I can work on my Folding @ Home project and submit WU's. Movies are a joy but I am a little disappointed that the PS3's proprietary Bluetooth crap affects its compatability with standard remotes. Oh well, I'll keep working in something that will reduce my total number of remotes to 1.

[The Plan - remaining to be done]

I need to get my speakers setup for proper and meaningful lows and highs. The stock speakers are weak. I also need to work on the remote angle and I need to get a floating shelf with the charging stations for my Xbox and PS3.

There are also some quirks with the Xbox connecting and serving movies and music. If I change movies in mid-play, it will render a network error when I start another movie. It's annoying but just one of those things. I think as the software and technology mature further, this will be rendered moot.

These things do NOT have an effect over a wired network. :)

Will update as things continue building up.

Let me get this straight, you have your 1080P TV hooked up to your Vista Media Center computer?

Sounds like you have something nice in your place. I have been planning on making my own media center soon. Yet I need to save up some money for the nice TV first. I was planning on making some Linux based media center that will wirelessly connect to other computers and the TV (if possible)

I am assuming you are changing between the computer and xbox through one click of the remote right? Sweet deal, oh and the PS3, yes.

I don't have the bandwidth to steam high-def (above 720P) unless I am connected via wire. If I keep hittin road blocks, I am just going to have to run a hidden wire to my xbox. Bleh.

But yes, so far so good.

I have my PC hooked up to my 1080i tv. Having to make do with logitech z5500 speakers positioned for tv viewing but it's great for movies and tv series :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinit
Back