Programs under XP not working

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Berlinboy, May 26, 2002.

1. Berlinboy

Berlinboy Guest

Dear All
    Programmes that had once worked on XP don't react anymore and i get the message ..

So and so(program) ....is not an allowed 32 bit Application(Translated from German) and this tends to happen very often .
    Any help if any of this makes sense.!!??

Berlinboy:confused:

2. andy_rose

andy_rose Moderator

ok, need a bit more information here...did u install anything right before this happened?any hardware changes?

3. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

Only thing I know of that has 32 with it is to do with colour.
    Right click the desktop, go to properties/settings then change it to 16. If it does not work just change it back.

4. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

This has nothing to do with colors. This sounds like something is really broken. Unless there is a program somewhere that causes this you probably have a broken file system. Try opening the exe file in an editor or viewer that can read binary files. If the file starts with MZ it should be ok. If it doesn't it's broken. In that case System Restore or reinstallation is heavily recommended. You harddisk may be on the brink of dying too.

5. Berlinboy

Berlinboy Guest

Dear Andy
    thks for replying

No new hardware was installed although i kept on getting the above problem and had to re-install alot of software again.
    Hope this helps??!!

6. andy_rose

andy_rose Moderator

ok, when u reinstall the programs, do they work then?
    if they do then it's all good, but if not i would do what Zedric suggested..take a system restore...

7. Berlinboy

Berlinboy Guest

When i re-install the programs they work sometimes and those that do work stop after 3-4 weeks.

And how would i do a System resourse?

8. Berlinboy

Berlinboy Guest

...System RESTORE.

Sorry

9. andy_rose

andy_rose Moderator

right-click my computer-properties. there u have a tab called system restore.
    also u can reach it via the control panel-maintenance\performance:)