Program Not Responding messages before reboot

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by disrupteh, Jun 24, 2002.

1. disrupteh

disrupteh Guest

When logging off or restarting, right before the system reboots, Windows gives me a Program Not Responding message for these programs or processes: UD.EXE, DEVLDR and EXPLORER.EXE.

UD is a program that's in my startup folder, i want to keep it there. Don't know what DEVLDR is or does, and EXPLORER.EXE is the Windows shell. Anyways, these messages pop up and I can click End Task or Cancel and they will go away, or simply ignore them and Windows will take care of itself and simply reboot/logoff, whatever I asked it to do.

Anyone know why this happens and how it can be fixed?

2. Lonman

Lonman Bleh!

3. disrupteh

disrupteh Guest

Didn't work

Well, I tried, but to no avail. After uninstalling the sound card and rebooting, XP just sort of installed it's own set of drivers, but DEVLDR is still there and I still get the same message. But even if that did actually work, I would still need to do something about the EXPLORER.EXE and UD.EXE messages that pop up along with it.

4. Lonman

Lonman Bleh!

It's my guess that once you get the DEVLDR issue sorted that the other two will behave. Instead of re-installing XP's drivers, get the newest available drivers and direct the installation to them after you follow the guide to remove the old ones (don't reboot until you install the newest ones).

5. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

Had you changed the WaitToKillApp timeout in the registry??

If you did, that's the problem. Windows is trying to close the application, but its not closing in the amount of time you specified ... so, it looks like its not responding. Actually, its just taking its time to close. This will happen if Windows tries to close lots of apps when shutting down. It doesn't happen on my box ... but it did on my brother's laptop.

If you changed the timeout, and need help changing it back ... just ask ... and we will be here to help you out.

Good luck! :)

6. disrupteh

disrupteh Guest

Well I haven't changed this registry setting, but I might take a look at it. If you point me to where it's at and what the default value of it is, that'd be great.

And Lonman, I am fairly confident I have the latest drivers for my soundcard, and the ones Creative gives you is an automatic install, so I can't manually change them, and make sure it's done right :(

i'll report back w/the results

7. disrupteh

disrupteh Guest

well i found a set of drivers that were perfect for my sound card off of gateway.com (i'm using a gateway) and i no longer get the DEVLDR message. but i STILL get the other two. :mad:

maybe it's the WaitToKillApp. so i'm gonna need the default value, if anyone can help me out with that.

8. Lonman

Lonman Bleh!

I'm not sure of the exact entry in the registry, but i just did a search of it and all of the waittokillapptimeout values it came back with were set at 20000.

9. disrupteh

disrupteh Guest

well i searched for waittokillapptimeout, and it was set at 10. i immediately thought "woot! this must be the prob". i switched it to the value you use, 20,000. still got the same messages. i increased it to 80,000. messages did not change. i increased it to an insanely high amt., 999999999. messages did not change.

i'm stuck.

10. Lonman

Lonman Bleh!

Has it always happened, or can you pinpoint a date and try using System Restore?

11. disrupteh

disrupteh Guest

This has happened ever since I upgraded to XP about 2 weeks ago

12. Lonman

Lonman Bleh!

Ah... an upgrade. Chances are that installation will continue to degrade. I'd recommend a clean installation.

13. disrupteh

disrupteh Guest

eh, i'd rather not go through the trouble. i'm getting a new computer soon here for college, and i'd also like to keep all my files on this computer (got a huge mp3 collection). unless any of you can suggest some really easy backup methods, i won't be reformatting. because i'm really lazeh :D