Program Not Responding messages before reboot

D

disrupteh

When logging off or restarting, right before the system reboots, Windows gives me a Program Not Responding message for these programs or processes: UD.EXE, DEVLDR and EXPLORER.EXE.

UD is a program that's in my startup folder, i want to keep it there. Don't know what DEVLDR is or does, and EXPLORER.EXE is the Windows shell. Anyways, these messages pop up and I can click End Task or Cancel and they will go away, or simply ignore them and Windows will take care of itself and simply reboot/logoff, whatever I asked it to do.

Anyone know why this happens and how it can be fixed?

Didn't work

Well, I tried, but to no avail. After uninstalling the sound card and rebooting, XP just sort of installed it's own set of drivers, but DEVLDR is still there and I still get the same message. But even if that did actually work, I would still need to do something about the EXPLORER.EXE and UD.EXE messages that pop up along with it.

It's my guess that once you get the DEVLDR issue sorted that the other two will behave. Instead of re-installing XP's drivers, get the newest available drivers and direct the installation to them after you follow the guide to remove the old ones (don't reboot until you install the newest ones).

Had you changed the WaitToKillApp timeout in the registry??

If you did, that's the problem. Windows is trying to close the application, but its not closing in the amount of time you specified ... so, it looks like its not responding. Actually, its just taking its time to close. This will happen if Windows tries to close lots of apps when shutting down. It doesn't happen on my box ... but it did on my brother's laptop.

If you changed the timeout, and need help changing it back ... just ask ... and we will be here to help you out.

Good luck! :)

Well I haven't changed this registry setting, but I might take a look at it. If you point me to where it's at and what the default value of it is, that'd be great.

And Lonman, I am fairly confident I have the latest drivers for my soundcard, and the ones Creative gives you is an automatic install, so I can't manually change them, and make sure it's done right :(

i'll report back w/the results

well i found a set of drivers that were perfect for my sound card off of gateway.com (i'm using a gateway) and i no longer get the DEVLDR message. but i STILL get the other two. :mad:

maybe it's the WaitToKillApp. so i'm gonna need the default value, if anyone can help me out with that.

I'm not sure of the exact entry in the registry, but i just did a search of it and all of the waittokillapptimeout values it came back with were set at 20000.

well i searched for waittokillapptimeout, and it was set at 10. i immediately thought "woot! this must be the prob". i switched it to the value you use, 20,000. still got the same messages. i increased it to 80,000. messages did not change. i increased it to an insanely high amt., 999999999. messages did not change.

i'm stuck.

Has it always happened, or can you pinpoint a date and try using System Restore?

This has happened ever since I upgraded to XP about 2 weeks ago

Ah... an upgrade. Chances are that installation will continue to degrade. I'd recommend a clean installation.

eh, i'd rather not go through the trouble. i'm getting a new computer soon here for college, and i'd also like to keep all my files on this computer (got a huge mp3 collection). unless any of you can suggest some really easy backup methods, i won't be reformatting. because i'm really lazeh :D

Members online

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back