Program installation problem

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by mddunlop, Jan 24, 2002.

1. mddunlop

mddunlop Guest

I'm getting this annoying message when installing certain programs, this obviously prevents the install from completing.

'16 bit Windows Subsystem: %userprofile%\LocalS~1\Temp\ A temporary file needed for initialization could not be created or written to etc. etc.'

I have tried to 'Run as administrator' to see if that worked (I have administration rights under my own login as well) but couldn't get pass the password (which I didn't set when I installed XP Pro), strange. I tried pressing Enter and got a dialogue box saying 'Unable to logon:
    Logon failure:user account restriction. Possible reasons are blank passwords not allowed, restricted hours blah, blah, blah!'

Anyone able to offer a solution to this frustrating problem please? Explained in simple language would be appreciated. I'm not as advanced as some. DOH!

Thanks for taking a look!

2. Khayman

Khayman I'm sorry Hal... Political User Folding Team

if your running XPhome, you can't log in as admin without going into safe mode. so try that. go into safe mode, log in as admin. if you havn't set a password then you shouldn't need one, i didn't and don't. then try to install it from there
  3. mddunlop

mddunlop Guest

Install problems - thanks

Thanks for the swift response.
    It was a corrupted install. Re-installed XP from an image and we're away!

Thanks again