Program Folders - Gone !!!

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by percyv143, May 26, 2003.

1. percyv143

percyv143 Guest

my program folder is gone. when i tried to open my program folder from start-all program-my folder- ***... it's suppose to be when i get to my folder it should contain most of my favorite program folders but only 1 show and the rest is gone. how can set it back? i got tons of program folder deleted...
    pls help....

2. lieb39

lieb39 Apple lover, PC User

Can you run these program or are they complety gone (they might be hidden)

I used a program called File Scavenger to get my files back when I formatted and I forgot to get some files. Google it...

Good luck!

lieb39

3. yoyo

yoyo _________________

Check these four registry keys. One of the entries may point to the wrong folder.
    If you find an entry that isn't right doubleclick the value and change it.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ Software\ Microsoft\ Windows\ CurrentVersion\ Explorer\ Shell Folders
    Common Programs ............. C:\ Documents and Settings\ All Users\ Start Menu\ Programs

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ Software\ Microsoft\ Windows\ CurrentVersion\ Explorer\ User Shell Folders
    Common Programs ........... %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\ Start Menu\ Programs

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ Software\ Microsoft\ Windows\ CurrentVersion\ Explorer\ Shell Folders
    Programs .................. C:\ Documents and Settings\ username\ Start Menu\ Programs

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ Software\ Microsoft\ Windows\ CurrentVersion\ Explorer\ User Shell Folders
    Programs .......... %USERPROFILE%\ Start Menu\ Programs

(Assuming that Windows is installed on C:\ )

Before making any changes rightclick the key (folder) and choose export to back it up.

4. percyv143

percyv143 Guest

PROGRAM FILES - GONE !

the programs are still there it's just that all the shortcut folder and icons are gone..
    thanks.

5. yoyo

yoyo _________________

Are there still shortcuts in

C:\ Documents and Settings\ All Users\ Start Menu\ Programs
    and/or
    C:\ Documents and Settings\ your username\ Start Menu\ Programs

6. percyv143

percyv143 Guest

there were. i did restore to a previous point and the folder came back BUT all the shortcut icons it each folder is GONE, it's as good as nothing...
    what else could i do?
    thanks for you assistance.

7. yoyo

yoyo _________________

So inside these folders I mentioned above are also empty program folders, or are there application icons? If so in which one?

As a last resort you can go through your program files directory and manually create shortcuts, to fill up these empty folders in start menu.

8. percyv143

percyv143 Guest

PROGRAM FOLDERS -GONE

only folder are there. no icons. so i guess the last resort is to create the shortcut icons manually.
    thanks for your help. :)