probs with msn behind router

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by ludlo, Jan 22, 2003.

1. ludlo

ludlo OSNN Addict

im using a zyxel router and isdn... when i try to send a file over msn it fails, but if i connect via 56k whitout the router it works fine. is there any way to get it to work?

2. Glaanieboy

Glaanieboy Moderator

Make sure that the Messaging port(s) (the port(s) MSN uses to send and receive data) are opened. What ports you must define and how to configure the router, I don't know, as I don't have any experience on this area.
    The reason I know an answer, is that I heard more about this problem and this was usually the solution given.

3. sboulema

sboulema Moderator

4. ludlo

ludlo OSNN Addict

it worked fine but after i installed xp sp1 it started to fail again...all ports are open

sooo can it be something with sp1?

5. oDin

oDin xp m0nk3y

To enable file transfers, enable both incoming and outgoing TCP connections to the 6891-6900 range of TCP ports. This allows each sender to perform up to 10 simultaneous file transfers. Note that if only TCP port 6891 is open, users are only able to perform one file transfer at a time.

To enable messaging, enable outgoing TCP connections to TCP port 1863

it works when you are using your dial-up connection because you are bypassing the router.

the ports used probably changed with sp1

6. neo1980

neo1980 Guest

There is a simple solution go into the windows registry
    HKEY LOcal Machine>>>System>>>

now in here go into ControlSet001>>>>services>>>>TCPIP>>>>LINKAGE

in here the Route and BIND should be the same, if BIND is different then make sure the Bind values are replaced by the values of Route, do the same for ControlSet001 and CurrentControlSet, restart ur PC and try

7. ludlo

ludlo OSNN Addict

na that didnt work either... checked the settings five times...exactly the same, not from the beginning but changed bind to rout as you said...dosent work.

got any other idea?

8. jw50

jw50 OSNN Senior Addict

This might seem pretty basic but dont forget that problems with file transfers can be at either end. Have you tried sending files to more than one of the people on your contact list to verify that you cant send to anyone? Can you receive files? Is the person that you are trying to send a file to able to receive files from other people?

Also check your Event Viewer if the problem only started fairly recently to see if there are any entries that might indicate that a program or process having a problem could possibly be contributing to your file transfer problems.

9. ludlo

ludlo OSNN Addict

Ive tried sending to basicly all of my contacs, driving them crazy :)

Yes they are able to both send and recive, but i can only recive as it is now. Checked my event logger, nothing special about it...

no firewall, no blocked ports, no programs accesing internet or network but msn...

10. jw50

jw50 OSNN Senior Addict

The only other thing I can suggest that hasn't been suggested before is to just use ICQ or Yahoo for the file transfers. Personally I prefer ICQ for transferring files.