Problems with registry permissions in Vista

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by CelicaMan94, Aug 11, 2008.

1. CelicaMan94

CelicaMan94 OSNN Junior Addict

I've recently been having problems with my registry permissions on my Vista machine. The problems first occurred after updating iTunes to the latest version. Since then, every time I opened iTunes I received a message saying "Please wait while Windows configures iTunes..." 10-15 seconds later iTunes would open normally but I didn't think this was normal. I Googled my problem and found a fix which turned out to be loss of permission to a registry key. I restored permissions and have had no trouble since then with iTunes.

Yesterday I installed Office 2007, and the problem has returned. With any of the Office programs that I open, I get the same configuration notice. Again, I scoured the internet and discovered that many of my registry keys have lost full control, and some I can't even assign an owner to. I can't uninstall Office because of a registry error. I get the same error when trying to repair the installation.

I am running Vista Ultimate with one user account.

Is there a general fix for this problem?

2. Johnny

Johnny .. Commodore .. Political User

I got this issue with Messenger live. I couldn't figure it out and it drove me nuts to say the least. I am still looking for a resolution to it. If you find please let me know also ..

3. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

You can use subinacl - while not confirmed on their site it supposedly works with Vista.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...56-D8FE-4A91-93CF-ED6985E3927B&displaylang=en

Vista also has a new tool called TAKEOWN, but I don't believe that will do registry. Subinacl can be used to reset your registry permissions globally.

-edit-

I used it with XP once and it fixed an issue I had with Adobe Flash Player. Can't personally comment on use for Vista as I haven't, but as I mentioned I've read it works. As always, make a backup of your registry and probably make a restore point too before proceeding.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2008
  4. Mizzle

Mizzle Oh, now I know...!