Problems with a sound card

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by MultiPle3, Nov 18, 2002.

1. MultiPle3

MultiPle3 Guest

A friend of mine has a sound card that stopped working recently. She says that Windows XP can't find any sound card. It had been working correctly and there were no changes to the system. I don't have a lot of information, but I was wondering if there were any generic solutions to this kind of problem. Thanks for your help.

2. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

so... it was working with xp and stopped all of a sudden? know what kind of sound card it is?

3. MultiPle3

MultiPle3 Guest

Windows XP automatically installed the driver for an Intel(r) 82801BA/BAM AC'97 Audio Controller when she uninstalled the old driver. Somebosy else was helping her then, so i wasn't able to check to see if what the old driver was for.

4. MultiPle3

MultiPle3 Guest

I now know for a fact that the Intel card that I mentioned above is the same driver that she had before uninstalling the driver also. The computer is a laptop, could the sound card have come loose by being bumped. Or is it integrated with the mother board?

5. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

well, i'm sure it's built into the motherboard. does it show anything in device manager? any (!)'s or anything? any devices under "sound, video and game controllers"?

6. MultiPle3

MultiPle3 Guest

It shows an exclamation point and says "This Device Cannot Start (Code 10)"

7. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

Foung this at another forum>

code 10 usually means the driver isn't installed. and the Crystal Wave sound chip should be noticed by W2K as the driver is integrated in the OS. It looks like you have a conflict somewhere else that is not allowing the Sound card to be detected.
    You could try disabling Sound in Bios, rebooting, then turn sound back on in bios and see if automatically detects it, otherwise the drivers for the Sound card should be on the ILD CD or in the i386 folder.

You might get something out of it.

8. Larz

Larz Guest

get to Device Manager > Problem device > propeties > driver > driver rollback or uninstall button. try to load the old driver and start over with new driver install...

Good Luck,
    Larz

9. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

try going to the laptop manufacturer's website and get the latest xp sound drivers they have available.

10. MultiPle3

MultiPle3 Guest

Thanks for your help. I'll see her over thanksgiving break, and I'll try these suggestions myself. If you have any more ideas keep posting please. After thanksgiving I'll post my results. Thanks.