Problems installing Windows Installer 3.1

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Eiji, Jul 16, 2005.

1. Eiji

Eiji OSNN Addict

I'm running WinXP Pro SP2 with all the latest patches and updates and recently had problems with the install and repaired it by doing a repair install over the current install.

Well after the repair install, I went to Windows Update and it prompted to download Windows Installer 3.1 but the problem is it won't install. I get a 'Access Denied' error.

I did already have the installer installed prior to the repairs being made to the OS.

Now I can't grab any updates from Windows Update because the installer needs to be installed first.

I've tried installing for both the redistributable package and Windows Update but both fail.

Anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks

2. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

What disc did you use to repair XP. The original or one that was slipstreamed with SP2?

If it was the original you need to make a slipsteamed SP2 disc, now do a repair using that disc.

3. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

Try this. Go to control panel add remove programs. Windows installer 3.1 is on the list. Remove it then see if you can reinstall it.

If that doesn't work use a registry tool to remove any entries for Windows Installer 3.1.

4. madmatt

madmatt Bow Down to the King Political User

5. Eiji

Eiji OSNN Addict

I used a slipstreamed SP2 disc to repair the install.

Already removed the program via control panel.

I have also already tried the "Windows Installer 3.1 Redistributable (v2)" as stated in the first post and I also get a 'Access Denied' message with that.

6. Johnny

Johnny .. Commodore .. Political User

Did your have to validate you version of windows before you could download it ??

7. Eiji

Eiji OSNN Addict

No, I didn't have to validate.

8. American Zombie

American Zombie Moderator Staff Member Political User

Have you tried running system file checker?

Start, run then type in the box:
    sfc /scannow

You could also try the troubleshooter then click on The update cannot be installed or the installation freezes.