problem with lan speed

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by btrip, Aug 2, 2005.

1. btrip

btrip OSNN One Post Wonder

hello everyone,

i have a lan, with 3 win98 machines and 1 windows2000 server all linked to a hub which then has an uplink to an adsl router. my problem is that, although my internet speed is ok, the network speed is incredibly slow. for example, a 650 mb file takes more than 5 hours to copy from the windows 2000 machine to one windows 98 machine.. any ideas?

TIA

2. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

Well your main problem would be that you are using a HUB. If you want to have decent speeds within your network, you should use a router or a switch instead. Using a HUB, your computers will share the bandwidth, whereas on other devices they all achive high-speed transfers and connections.

Basically the way it is now, each computer, if active, only gets 1/4 of the available speed internally.

3. btrip

btrip OSNN One Post Wonder

not a bad idea actually! i totally forgot that it was actually an old hub! however i have to say that there is no concurrent downloading from any other machine when i get these terrible speeds, neither from the internet nor from the local network.. so maybe it is not the hub that's responsible.. what do you think?

4. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

Right, but even if you are transferring from one to another, that's 2 computers, and your are theoretically splitting your available bandwidth in half. Hubs are crap, and really shouldn't be used anymore for anything.

5. Admiral Michael

Admiral Michael Michaelsoft Systems CEO Folding Team

If your DSL uses PPPOE and you get a router with a 4 port switch built in, all the systerms wont need and setting up for dialing into the net the router can do it for you. Unless your using your serer for something like that, not sure of the server's tasks.

Any I agree with kcnychief, hubs are crap. :p