Problem with DVD-ROM

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by donkey, Nov 29, 2002.

1. donkey

donkey Guest

I'm having problems with my DVD-ROM. Firstly, I tried creating a backup of a game using the DVD-ROM as the source but an unrecoverable read error was found.

I then created the backup on another computer and the game ran fine but when I got to test it out with my DVD-ROM, I get the message "Microsoft encountered an error....etc."

The game works fine though in my CD writer so I'm assuming that the DVD-ROM is the problem.

Does anyone know what the problem could be. I can't seem to figure it out because it still works with most other games.

I'm thinking of uninstalling it and then reinstalling it but wouldn't have a clue how or what software I need to reinstall is again.

Can anyone help me here.

Thanks

2. sparky

sparky OSNN Addict

is it an old device,try cleaning the lens it may be as simple as that:happy:

3. gladner

gladner Guest

If this is the only disc causing you problems it could be a scratch in one particular area of the disk that cannot be read by the laser of that drive. I have seen scratched discs that could not properly be read in one drive but were read just fine by another drive.

I suggest you try copying it on someone else's computer.

Hope this helps

4. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

Get you error message & see what you find over here.

5. donkey

donkey Guest

The drive is only 3 months old, if that.

How do I clean the laser if I want to anyway.

Also, the cd that it's not working with is brand new. No scratches anywhere. The problem is within the .exe file.

6. egghead

egghead Double O Egghead

your dvd might not be able to read sub channels and other read functions

dvd's are not the way to go to back up game files ever

always use your cd burner to back up your cd's

this willl cause your program to copy the disc to hd first and then it will prompt you to switch the disc

if you post the model number of your dvd and the name of the disc you have problems with we can troubleshoot from there

cheers
    egghead