Private Messages

Discussion in 'Site Problems & Feedback' started by DeeBeeS, Mar 30, 2007.

1. DeeBeeS

DeeBeeS OSNN Addict

I have just received a private message from a person who appears to be a non member of the forum, is this allowed? With all the scams happening these days I am a bit wary of replying.

David

2. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

As I understand it, they "non-member" title is when someone has registered, confirmed their address but not yet posted. If that is their status and they sent you a PM, I would assume it is spam. What is the content?

From your personal side, obviously you are not inclined to reply to the PM if you don't feel comfortable. The only settings you can configure is overall on/off of receiving PMs - there is no spam control or filtering there ASFAIK.

3. Jewelzz

Jewelzz OSNN Godlike Veteran

Forward it to a team member, if we determine it's spam we can ban the member

4. Electronic Punk

Electronic Punk Administrator Staff Member Political User Folding Team

It is currently allowed, maybe something I should restrict.
    Will also allow them to post in this forum if they can't already as sometimes there are justified problems.

5. kcnychief

Good points, could have been someone looking for legit help but couldn't figure out why their post(s) weren't showing up.

Can you post the PM here or send to one of us?

6. DeeBeeS

DeeBeeS OSNN Addict

Thank you for quick response, I don't know if the message is spam or not. It is from someone who uses the user name of Tomatoe, there is nothing in the message that appears personal and I can't see why he could not have put it in my post which was the Drivers section and was about upgrading drivers for a 56k modem. The following is a copy of the message:

Hi

My apologies for approaching you like this but did you ever get a resolution to your DC 009 problem, I have to say it must be the worst modem I have ever had in my life and seems to be impossible to install on an XP machine

7. mlakrid

mlakrid OSNN BASSMASTER Political User Folding Team

Obviously not spam...

Good to know...

some people simply are not happy posting online...

Oh well...

8. kcnychief

That makes more sense now.

I would assume they found this thread -

http://forum.osnn.net/showthread.php?t=89419

Which you started, and wanted to know if you ever got it resolved as it doesn't appear to have any viable solution posted in the thread.

9. DeeBeeS

DeeBeeS OSNN Addict

Thanks for the information supplied and I completely agree with all your comments. I was concerned at first that a non member could send a private message but you have resolved this issue.

David

10. ScottFern

ScottFern IT guy

This same issue just happened to me. I assume the person is a spammer. Username = turing

All he said was Hi, how is it going? Honestly, most people don't do that and it definitely felt like spam!

11. Racer_600

Racer_600 OSNN Junior Addict

I got one from "turing" too the other day. and there was a link to another site, that i didn't click, at the bottom of the message.

12. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

EP ?

Ideas?

13. American Zombie

American Zombie Moderator Staff Member Political User

They could go into the user control panel/Edit Options and check the box that says Receive Private Messages only from Buddies and Moderators.

14. Mercury

Mercury OSNN One Post Wonder

I received a message too. I haven't logged on for months so I guess it is spam!

This is the message:

from the user turing.

Who the hell messages someone who hasn't been on for months?

15. madmatt

madmatt Bow Down to the King Political User

Ironically I sent a private message to this user asking he/she to stop sending unsolicited private messages to users. I also issued a one day ban to assure that he/she gets the message.

If anyone receives an unsolicited private message from this user or any user in the future please let me know. Thank you.

16. Electronic Punk

Electronic Punk Administrator Staff Member Political User Folding Team

Yeah, not sure what thats about, seeing some really strange behaviour on the net these days.

"People" signing up to forums making a single post like "hi I like forum.osnn.net, i found your site and I like it"

then nothing else, no homepage or sig spam, really not sure what to make of it.

17. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

I just delete messages like this :)

18. madmatt

madmatt Bow Down to the King Political User

The user was perm banned; I caught he/she sending more private messages.