Printer not working....sorta....HELP!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Nathan Alexande, Jul 15, 2003.

1. Okay, my printer is physically connectd and installed to computer1. I networked printer to computer2. Both computers are freshly installed XP. When I send a document to the printer from computer2, it does not print. However, when I restart computer1, the document prints....WHY??? Why am I having to restart computer1 to print documents sent by computer2???

By the way the computers are netwroked together, and share files flawlessly...

Any help will be greatly appreciated...

-Nathan

2. Un4gIvEn1

Un4gIvEn1 Moderator

Make sure that the Print Spooler service is turned on

Start / Run
    services.msc

3. on c1 or c2?

4. Okay, print spooling is enabled on both machines.....still now working....any other ideas?

5. krmanning

krmanning Guest

Maybe I missed it, but what kind of printer are you using?

6. Un4gIvEn1

Un4gIvEn1 Moderator

Clear everything from the following DIR...

C:\WINNT\system32\spool\PRINTERS

That is the temp folder where items are spooled to. If it gets too full sometimes you might have troubles printing.

7. Still not working...any other suggestions???

8. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

Still need that answered. :)

Also have a look here.

9. Printer is an HP Ultra Series 2xxx (can't remember exact number) PCL6.

10. krmanning

krmanning Guest

I could never figure out why, but I had a similar problem with my HP Deskjet 880. Never could get the darned thing to print reliably over the network. I did all the usual things (updated drivers, tried changing from parallel to USB and back again). I finally gave up and got an Epson C82 ($99 at Best Buy). Its way faster, has better output, and it is lots noiser. But, it works locally and for network printing.

11. jonifen

jonifen pffff...

I've quite often had problems with HP printers printing over the network. Did you install the HP driver cd on both c1 and c2 (I think you can install it on c2 and tell it the printer is on c1 over the network - thats how we install the hp laserjet 3330s at work)