Prevent Power Users from Installs

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by dfato, Aug 21, 2002.

1. dfato

dfato Guest

Is it possible to prevent Power Users from installing applications on PCs with Windows XP? The local security policies are pretty granular, but there is not a specific rule to DENY Application Installations. I'd like to prevent my users from installing misc. programs such as Winamp or Webshots on their own. Any suggestions are appreciated!
  2. Friend of Bill

Friend of Bill What, me worry?

"Power Users" will always find a way around the block to achieve their goal.
  3. beatlesdb

beatlesdb Guest

Creat your own user profile - as Power User will have the ability to install software by default.
  4. dfato

dfato Guest

I realize that Power Users have this innate ability, however there are certain functions in the Microsoft Office Suite (as well as other applications) that do not funtion properly without Power User or Admin rights. I could perform numerous registry tweaks on each workstation, but that would become too time consuming. I want to see if there is an easy way to restrict Powers Users rights so I can have my XP users in that local group, but deny them access from installing applications.