pretty basic stuff!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by jamespond, Apr 2, 2002.

1. jamespond

jamespond Guest

This might seem like basic stuff to alot of people on here but i dont know if i have a firewall on my pc. I am running XP and as far as i know it has a firewall built in(doesnt it). Secondly if it has a firewall built in how do i know if it is on. I read that i have to right clik my internet connection in the "veiw network connections" folder and it should be on the menu that appears but it isnt there and i cant get the properties window up off my internet connection. I am connected using AOOOOOL and i was told i cant change their properties. Also is it really neccessary t have a firewall.

If XP doesnt have one built in i do apologise for wasting your time.

thank you:D :D

2. jamespond

jamespond Guest

Sorry one more thing is i use kazaa quite alot which why i am trying to find this out.

And is kazza the best p2p program????????????

3. GoNz0

GoNz0 NTFS Stoner

no the XP firewall dont work on AOL.

4. Perris Calderon

Perris Calderon Moderator Staff Member Political User

and no, kazaa, is the worst, search this site for better solutions

5. james, to view your properties in network connections, or my network places, be sure you have Network Location Awareness enabled in your services.

For dealer: have you tried the kazaalite yet, buddy?...it's really cool. I was skeptical at first, but I'm enjoying it, sapyware free and much much quicker to load.:)

6. jamespond

jamespond Guest

Network Location Awareness is enabled but still nothing but gonzo says the fire wall wont work with aol anyway?????
    It seems i do need a firewall so if i cant use the one that comes with XP what other options do i have?????

I have tried kazaalite but found it very slow when downloading as im only using a modem.

7. phishhead

phishhead OSNN Senior Addict

if you are using dial up there is really no need for a firewall because everytime you dial up you get a new ip address..firewalls are good if you have a dynamic ip address and use broadband which is always connected.

8. GoNz0

GoNz0 NTFS Stoner

To be honest with you, the problems i had using aol alone with things like messenger file transfers or outlook just couldnt figure out where the net connection was with a firewall there, all this thanks to aol using there own buggy wan adapter that as always hides itself away so you cant see it. sygate firewall seemed to work best with aol "aohell".

9. phishhead

phishhead OSNN Senior Addict

you could always del aosmell and go with a real isp.

10. GoNz0

GoNz0 NTFS Stoner

well i got DSL now..

just got to try and find the post on how to uninstall all aol componants. $&*(£$£$%^&