Prefetch question

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by ezdriver, Feb 8, 2002.

1. ezdriver

ezdriver Guest

A couple of questions concerning XP Prefetch:

1) What exactly does it do? What is its purpose?

2) I've read that I should periodically clean obsolete items from prefetch, since it can get cluttered rather quickly. What is safe to delete? Could I conceivably clean out the entire folder and let it rebuild from scratch?

Thanks for your input from a WinXP Home Edition newbie!

ez:confused:

2. pc_tek

pc_tek Guest

ya know... i read the same tip and I think it is a load of crap. The prefetch files are to help you boot faster. I know when you look in the prefetch folder that it looks like it will be taking alot of space, but in general it is ussually only 2-3 mb which is not much space at all. I would leave it!

3. ghayes

ghayes Microsoft MVP

Windows XP "monitors" which applications are frequently launched and what files they access when launching and writes information about this to the prefetch folder. Approx every 3 days, Windows XP will attempt to "optimze" these apps so that they launch faster.

- Greg/Raxco Software

4. Perris Calderon

Perris Calderon Moderator Staff Member Political User

pre fetch refreshes itself, it speeds your computors search for commonly used apps, it doesn't need cleansing or maintanance

5. gothic

gothic LinuXPert

I did read on the M$ knowledgebase that it does help a little to clean it out occasionally. I just delete the bl**dy lot about once a fortnight.