Power Supply Wattage

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by loppdawg69, Mar 25, 2002.

1. loppdawg69

loppdawg69 Guest

I had a 300watt power supply from antec...it went belly up. I have a 250 watt power supply sitting here...i dont think it will cause damage but is it ok if i use the 250 instaed...is it not "strong" enough to work ?

2. da rock

da rock Guest

i think i'd buy another ps,otherwise you run into probs because of the lower wattage. just my 2cents worth!:cool:

3. xsivforce

xsivforce Prodigal Son Folding Team

agree...get a new one.

4. Bytes Back

Bytes Back Ex Police Chief

Hmmmmmm, tend to disagree, if its a good quality one then you should be ok.

Running off my 250 are

Athlon XP 1500
    soundblaster live
    Geforce 4
    nic
    Tvcard
    Isdn
    5 fans
    cd writer
    dvd
    two hard drives
    bits and bobs

No lockups, crashes or odd happenings ( unless you count this forum !! ;) )

5. xsivforce

I stand corrected. :eek:

6. Bytes Back

Bytes Back Ex Police Chief

No need, your opinions just as valid as mine, mind you, its probably more as I'm stark raving mad ( the windows keep talking to me ) :D

7. GoNz0

GoNz0 NTFS Stoner

hell i got a 250W PSU in my full tower case.. plenty of connections on it and the amp ratings match most 350 W PSU's...

I clock my 1.33 to 1.46 all day long with no problems. I had it running above 1.5 for a few weeks but was worried about frying the chip.

I get my XP1800 in the morning i hope and thats going to be clocked up as well.

I got 6 fans running 1 HDD and 3 cd drives. Epox mobo etc and it stays at a nice 22 deg C in the PSU diode since the forced cooling.

I think quality overides quantity in this case.

CPU 35 Deg C 3.3v @ 3.42... 5v@ 4.88 12v@ 12.25.

Wonder if its gunna pop at last with the 1800 chip :( then i got to get a crappy 300W out the stores ack...

8. loppdawg69

loppdawg69 Guest

thanks for the input..decided to get a whole new case Coolermaster ATC 201...and new power supply...lol im one of those im out of gas so ill buy a new car kinda guys...doesnt help since i am broke always =)

9. xsivforce

Sounds like me. ;)

10. EMPIRETANK

EMPIRETANK Guest

if you could...

find out what kind of motherboard/cpu ur ps supports... if it supports your amd then you should be alright.. 250 is the minimum i would go though no lower... but it depends on how much stuff you have in your computer... if its just cd rom/burner/harddrive/cpu/motherboard that ps will hold that.

anymore than that.. you should be looking for a 300 mayb 350 :)