Power Supply Fan

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by theevilsithlord, Dec 12, 2003.

1. theevilsithlord

theevilsithlord Hail to the King, Baby!

Is it possible, or should i say, not dangerous, to change the fan on a power supply? Its the loudest part of my computer, and I was just wondering if anyone has done it or knows about it.

2. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

It used to be required on an annual basis. Fortunately they've improved the fans since the early 90's.

You need to find a (quiet) fan with the same airflow or higher as what you have now, and the same mounting holes. The fans are almost all standard 12 Vdc so you clip the 2 wires going to the existing fan and solder, crimp or use wire nuts to connect the new fan in its place. Make sure you get the airflow direction correct and the voltage polarity correct (+12 to +12 , gnd to gnd).

It's pretty easy. Just make sure you get the right screws when taking the cover off the power supply. If you loosen a heatsink screw by mistake the supply could fry when you putit back together.

3. theevilsithlord

theevilsithlord Hail to the King, Baby!

what size is the standard fan for the psu?

4. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

the rear one is almost always 80mm. if it has a second or third fan inside, they might be 92mm.

5. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

Some PSU:s even have 120mm on the bottom, but those are usually silent.

theevilsithlord: Just watch out for the big capacitors, they can give you a nasty chock even after you've unplugged the PSU.