Power Questions

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by kcnychief, May 1, 2006.

1. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

I moved last October, from an apartment with utilities to a condo where I have to pay electric. When I was there, the PC was on 24x7 and now it's not. I want to start leaving it on again, because there are a few services I want to start to do....

So, without giving more of my life story - what type of increase should I expect in my electric bill? I know it varies on a lot of variables, but does it make a sizeable impact?

Also, not related directly to this topic but still power related, what are the main differences between using a normal molex power adapter vs. a SATA power adapter on a SATA drive?

2. Shamus MacNoob

Shamus MacNoob Moderator Political User

Let's say you have a big high-end computer with a gaming-level graphics card and CRT monitor, and you leave them on 24/7. That's about 330 watts x 24 hours x 365 days/yr = 2,890,800 watt-hours, or 2891 kilowatt-hours. If you're paying $0.14 per kWh, you're paying $405 a year to run your computer.

LeeJend likes this.
  3. kcnychief

Which over 12 months is only about $33.75 - which isn't bad as the monthly income to cover this is more than that :)

4. Shamus MacNoob

Shamus MacNoob Moderator Political User

But over the year it still is $400+ and think about pollution, better to switch off :0)

But of course if you need it on thats different.

5. madmatt

madmatt Bow Down to the King Political User

Don't forget about taxes and surcharges.

6. mlakrid

mlakrid OSNN BASSMASTER Political User Folding Team

I leave my computer on 24x7 and the electric bill only went up by $14-22 a month... and it was totally dependent upon how hot it was outside...

I.E. THe AC hurt my bill MUCH more than my computer ever did...

:)

As for your SATA inquiry, the SATA connectors can come off much more easily, but I have yet to have any serious problems...?

:D

7. Evil Marge

Evil Marge I Rule Political User

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/click_online/4929594.stm

I was brought up to turn everything off when it's not in use,which I still do and so do the kids.
    The only thing which is left on is my DVD recorder so that I don't have to keep resetting the clock when I set the timer to record a programme :D

LeeJend likes this.
  8. madmatt

madmatt Bow Down to the King Political User

What about the microwave?

9. Evil Marge

Evil Marge I Rule Political User

What about it? food cooked in a microwave always tastes horrible :s

10. kcnychief

I may have mis-worded my question, but I wasn't asking about how they came off. I was more wondering about the efficiency of the PSU delivering power to the hard drive through different interfaces.

I assume pretty much nothing, or one of the options wouldnt' be there, but I was wondering :)

11. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

Depends on your definition of sizeable.

My system runs 24/7 and I don't have much variation in bills.

Shouldn't be much.

You'll get "cleaner" power without the adapter naturally, but there should not be an issue per se considering the relatively small power-draw of a hard-drive.

12. kcnychief

What if you don't use an adapter though?

What if you go from the PSU directly to the Hard Drive with a normal adapter directly to the 4-pin interface, just not using the SATA interface since those hard drives come equipped with both interfaces (which further leads me to believe it really doesn't matter).

13. canadian_divx

canadian_divx Canadian_divx

to my understanding the cabe is the same for that. the drive may use less power but i find the molex to be a better connection

14. lestiddy

lestiddy OSNN Junior Addict

yeah it all depends on ur configuration and stuff. then u can figure out exactly how much ur bill is gonna increase

15. fitz

fitz Just Floating Along Staff Member Political User Folding Team

Leaving your monitor off (or with power saving enabled on the monitor) will cut down a lot of the electricity used.. it *may* cut down on the power that the video card draws also (not sure on that, I'm not sure how much power the video card uses if the GPU isn't being used to display any data..)

I'm assuming you're folding on this machine, so your CPU will always be using full power.. the HD's use more power when they are spinning as opposed to just sitting idle..

in the end, the costs will vary month to month. My bill went up about $13/month when I started leaving my system up 24/7.. when I started fiddling with the power settings on the monitor, it went down about half that. When I started folding, it went up another $2/month

*shrug* YMMV..

16. kcnychief

Of course I fold, I would expect nothing else :smoker:

Thanks for the info -

17. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

The $405 a year answer is an incomplete answer.

The computer generates a heat load on the airconditiong system. Part of the difference is made up in the winter by reduced heating costs (some people have fireplaces, I have a computer room) but not that much if you have gas heat which is much less expensive.

Over all expect the $33 a month in the winter. During months when the airconditioning is on expect the $33 to be as high as $50/month. Also electric bills have jumped 25% or more since last year and are projected to go up more this year so base your business decision on higher rates.

The 14 cents a kilowatt hour may be low depending on where you live.

The 330W for a computer with monitor in sleep (better yet turn it off, I do when running video work overnight) and just folding (no video processing) may be high.

With PSU inefficiency I'd say more like 85W (for an AMD) 10W HD, 25W MB, 50W idle for the GPU (depends on the model), monitor turned off and 70% on the PSU at medium load. About 275W. The same as 2 lights left on when they are not needed. But then there is the modem/router/switch too.

I was going to start folding last year but noticed my electric consumption was up driving my electric bill up. So I keep my machines off unless in use and to offset the increased bills from when I am using them I switched out my incandescent bulbs to flourescent. The flourescent cost more up front but I've been using the same bulbs for 3 years now and they are good for 5 years.

I have better things to do with $400-600 a year. Like donating it to Greenpeace. (Rep's to Shamus)