Ports Closed ... Need Firewall?

Q

Quezacotl

I ran this test, if all my ports but the RPC is closed do I need a firewall?

Thanks

- Quezacotl -

The scan only represents a snap shot from the time the test was ran, with that in mind who is to say that one of those ports may become exposed with the launch of a application or service on your system.

A big part of firewalling is outbound protection which you currently have none of, you may become infected by a virus/trojan or any type of malware that has the ability to provide a back door to yor system, with a firewall in place you stand a chance of preventing that exposure.

Most test sites only scan common ports, you may be exposing something above the 1024 mark.

I would overall say if your on a high speed connection then you should firewall the box.

However, if you keep it patched and secure and use the correct Restrict Anonymous settings then you system is OK.

I recommend you go for the higher level of security unless you plan to keep a close eye on internet activity and activity of apps on your system.

thanks for the response

I think i'll try the Sygate firewall ... I used to use norton .. but it slows the pc down to a crawl :)

can you or someone reccomend a better site to scan more ports?

Thanks

- Quezacotl -

Keep in mind that when someone probes you that if you have your firewall on a set properly, the 'prober' will not get a reply back from your computer and there's a good chance he'll move on to his next victim.

With no firewall running but and having just your ports closed, the 'prober' will get a reply telling him the port is closed, and may try harder to access your PC.

computercops.biz offers a NMAP scan that is pretty good.

pcflank.com used to over a complete scan but i dont think they do so now.

dslreports.com 's Secure Me Now (Slow scan) is good

www.hackerwhacker.com is a nice bet

Then of course you have:

blackcode.com/scan
www.auditmypc.com
www.grc.com
scan.sygate.com

Also you may want to try Local Port Scanner (LPS) it performs a port scan on the local host. I had limited success with it however.

Also you could use SuperScan from foundstone to check your system from a remote host or even locally, i belive using "localhost" as the target will work.

Oh and why not give NMAP NT a blast if your on a LAN :)

lol phew .. just a few eh?

well I put on Sygate 5 Pro ... and everything is stealthed and it passed everytest of theirs...

I also saw a post on browser security, only 1 med flaw (ie6)

and I fixed my clipbook exploit .. cuz I copy & paste lots :D

one question more, for a virus scanner ... pc cillin or mcaffee? which would you guys prefer? i have both

Thanks so much for all your help

- Quezacotl -

PC Cillin 2003, i just switched to it myself.

Its great on system resourses and in the detection tests ive done its passed wonderfully :)

Ok great thanks

Never tried that one yet...
Gonna go install it

Thanks for your help!

- Quezacotl -

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back