Please Help...Keyboard/Typing problem

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Sunterra, Mar 29, 2002.

1. Sunterra

Sunterra Guest

I recently did a clean install of XP on my Compaq Presario 350 mhz laptop. I have 192 megs of Ram. I have a typing problem that is driving me crazy. As I am typing, the cursor sometimes jumps back to a previous location in the paragraph, and I end up overtyping what I had already typed. It is not a hardware problem, because I reformated, went back to Win 98, and the problem didn't happen. It is not an application problem, because it will do in in Word, Instant Messenger, and even as I post this thread. Has anyone heard of this problem or have any suggestions? I would love to stay with XP, but it's surely enough to drive me back to Win 98. I've done the windows update, looked for fixes on the Compaq site and the Micorsoft site, and asked around the IT dept. at work. I'd appreciate any help from the experts here. Thanks.

2. Sunterra

Sunterra Guest

No one seen this problem?

I guess no one has had this problem or has heard of it. Any reccomendations where to check?

3. xsivforce

xsivforce Prodigal Son Folding Team

We are here...I haven't heard anything like this before. Have patience, someone will eventually have an answer for you.(that is if you don't figure it out first)

4. toolfool719

toolfool719 Guest

I know it can't be a virus but

I know it can't be a virus but a friend had one that did the exact same thing. I know you formatted your pc and it did not do it in 98. But just wanted to say that is the only time I've ever heard of anything like that. I hope you figure it out. Good Luck.

5. Gowcra

Gowcra iPod man!

Reformat Xp

6. dreamliner77

dreamliner77 The Analog Kid

7. Elektro Slime

Elektro Slime Harware Guru

wow......... where do you people find these things???????????

8. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

Don't suggest to format, it's pretty worthless as there's no problem (except Windows itself :p) that can't be solved before resorting to a format and starting again.

Also, please take note of thread dates, the post is almost 3 years old.

9. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

My first guess would be that the keyboard is deflecting and causing the pointing device to activate. Solutions:

Type softer...
    Go into the pointing device setup manager and reduce the sensitivity (or turn it off all together just for a test).

One of the many reasons I hate laptops - pointing devices and keyboards are input devices that wear out. That means throwing away the entire laptop when a $10 part wears out. In the engineering industry we call this planned obsolecence. The marketing guys love us for it.

10. Perris Calderon

Perris Calderon Moderator Staff Member Political User

ya, I think it's the laptop driver and sensitivity of the touchpad...in your mouse settings, you should be able to find something in the sensitivity options to help guard against palm strikes..laptop mouse interfaces are all differant, so you have to find that setting yourself.

p.s....you can always use and external keyboard or mouse or both if you want to.

I love the laptop mice though

11. Perris Calderon

Perris Calderon Moderator Staff Member Political User

holy crow...I just looked at the original poster and the date of this thread.

I need to have a cup of coffee