Playstation 2 -> soundcard -> analog 5.1 speakers. How

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Glaanieboy, Jul 18, 2005.

1. Glaanieboy

Glaanieboy Moderator

What soundcard do I need to crosslink my PS2 via my computer to my Creative Inspire 5300 5.1 speakerset? I want to be able to play (supported) games in 5.1 surround sound, but I don't know if it works with all soundcards supporting a digital optical cable.

In short: PlayStation 2 --digital optical cable--> soundcard --using the standard 5.1 speaker-output--> speakerset.

2. Admiral Michael

Admiral Michael Michaelsoft Systems CEO Folding Team

Well I would think if you have an optical In on your sound card it weould only be a matter of un-muting that input in the volume controls.

3. Glaanieboy

Glaanieboy Moderator

So what you are saying is that any soundcard should work?

4. Admiral Michael

Admiral Michael Michaelsoft Systems CEO Folding Team

I would say so. Not using optical myself Im not sure.

5. Glaanieboy

Glaanieboy Moderator

I have found a soundcard for a decent price (30 euros) with digital optical in and out, but he downloadable manual says the software supplied with the card (Audiorack) only supports stereo sound through the S/PDIF link (which can be either the optical or coaxial input), I am currently mailing support to ask wether this is a limitation of the software or the soundcard.

Still searching though!

6. Glaanieboy

Glaanieboy Moderator

This is kinda cool too. I have a SB Live! card, so this should be perfect. But nothing about Stereo only modes or sump.

7. zeke_mo

zeke_mo (value not set) Staff Member Political User Folding Team

You dont need a sound card, just digital speakers. I Dont know of two many mid to lower end sound cards that have optical in, but most to all digital speakers do have it on the decoder

8. Glaanieboy

Glaanieboy Moderator

I know that, but that cost at least 150 euros. And if I can do it with a soundcard and a crosslink (which is much cheaper), then I'll do it that way :p