Playing back movie problem

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by lieb39, Jun 6, 2003.

1. lieb39

lieb39 Apple lover, PC User

Alright, I'm mad now. I ran the tweaktown guide a while ago. Since than I've been having a few problems. Recently I got a few movies off kazaa (no, not p0rn lol) Just some simpson's espoides. I try to run them on my laptop and I get a error in WMP saying that the file can not be found. I try running it in AVI Previewer and I get the same error message. Grrr! So I copy it to my crappy desktop and it works with no issues! Whats going on? I have the right codecs and everything, and I have NTFS file format. Help, What did I do? What Can I do to fix it?

-lieb39

2. chadmercer

chadmercer Guest

You could try using his program, it fixes some errors in video files (ie. unable to search forward, unable to load)

ASF-AVI-RM-WMV Repair
    search for it in Google

3. lieb39

Didn't do it. It has something to do with registry entires and something with Fat32. Help!

4. rushm001

rushm001 In the beginning...... Political User

If the file name including the full directory path is over 255 characters, with FAT32 this can cause problems for programs.
    Moving the file to your desktop probably reduced the length of the directory path.

5. lieb39

Tried that. No luck, I even moved that file to c:\ and renamed it to a name without spaces

-lieb39

6. gladner

gladner Guest

what tweaks did you apply exactly? It might help to pinpoint the problem.

7. lieb39

I checked, found it and it was on its default setting. Didn't touch it.. it was something to do with "NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation"

But now that string is disabled. Now what?

-lieb39

8. lieb39

Now get this. WinDVD plays it. Just WinDVD, not even WinDVD Platinum. Now I'm really mad because WinDVD is horrible, the Platinum edition is the only way to go. Can anyone help me?

-lieb39