PIKAONE or PIKA ONE EXT DUAL DVD WRITER IN PCWORLD BOXING DAY SALE FOR £99.99

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by pinipatel, Dec 24, 2003.

1. pinipatel

pinipatel OSNN Junior Addict

Just reading the papers today, and came across an ad for a Pikaone Ext Dual DVD writer, USB 2.0 & Firewire that will be on sale in PC World on Boxing Day for the price of £99.99. Bargain! or is it? Does anyone out there have any experience with this, I haven't heard of the company before but www.pikaone.com looks ok.

I had a read of the manual online and its not region-free, ie. only 5 changes. does anyone know if there is firmware available to correct this?

the internal version of this is a BTC DRW1004IM according to other forums but no mention of this external one (even on the picaone website), does anybody know what the external version could be?

it sounds like a cracking deal, for under a hundred quid but only if its pretty kosher. no point buying cheap crap when there's plenty good stuff out there anyway.

Opinions please?

2. GoNz0

GoNz0 NTFS Stoner

that would be a bargain for that, even at 2x write speed with usb2 + firewire.

and theres 3rd party tools to reset dvd regions.

3. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

i have experience with two BTC cd burners and both weren't very reliable and died after about a year. they're a generic brand.

side note; usb2.0 and firewire should be able to keep up with 4x dvd burning or even faster.

4. pinipatel

it is pretty much average spec, ie. 4 speed, etc.

has anyone had any experience with these?

5. pinipatel

Gonzo,

assuming that I do buy the drive, what are my options as far as the 3rd party tools to reset the dvd regions?

I thought that dvd genie and the like only work with software players, not with the actual dvd drive itself?

6. GoNz0

GoNz0 NTFS Stoner

7. pinipatel

Yes, I bought this this morning, and just about got hold of it! Only 3 on the shelf, and I managed to grab the first one; the next guy grabbed the other two! Well worth getting down there at 8.45am.

Anyway, I managed a solution to my original problem with a little lateral thinking: I could not find an rpc-1 firmware that would work with this since it is external USB2.0/Firewire. So, I popped in an old IDE dvd-rom drive that is region-free (Matsush!ta I think), and cost me next to nothing! I use this to rip, and then when I burn I make sure its a region-free burn using IMGTool.

Not bad eh? well, its pretty good thinking for me at least with a raging hangover...I'm sure you folks would have figured it out months ago!

Laters